Filter Media

Theosam

Hi guys,

Im ready to make my sump out of an old 2 foot tank. I will be using it on a 4 foot tank(250L).

Just wandering what media do you recommend I use before I start making up the chambers? dntknw.gif

Need some input on this one...

Cheers

Theo

ps : Oh yeah... I already bought some Bio Balls, Filter wool and the coarse sponge.

If I had my time again I'd have bought rolls of gutter guard from bunnings for $2 each

You'll probably find a more efficient media than bio balls in a submersed situation, but if you have plenty of room for plenty of media, bio balls will still work.

I'd use a combination of coarse sponge, filter wool, and plastic kitchen scourers wink2.gif

You'll probably find a more efficient media than bio balls in a submersed situation, but if you have plenty of room for plenty of media, bio balls will still work.

I'd use a combination of coarse sponge, filter wool, and plastic kitchen scourers wink2.gif

Hi Baz,

What would you suggest other than those already, for a submersed situation?

I'm currently using filter wool, sponge and then gutter guard then a layer of the green wirey-mesh stuff. Usually the green stuff is fully submersed then I have a couple bags of very light stones used for the bio colony. Then just a few AC300 sponges before the pump intake. I thinking of getting more stones, but would like your opinion on other materials.

Does anyone make greater use of the chamber in the tank? I have filter wool wrapped over the drain-pipe which is full of drilled holes. I've see other methods such as the same green stuff placed along the glass where the water overflow down. Others have a drip tray and then layers of sponge over bioballs.

Just got to keep in mind that any methods should not lead to more maintenance as this is where the bulk of mechanical filteration should occur.

Thanks, MAW

My overflow (chamber in tank) has the green matting lining the insides. It's there not for filtration but more to keep the noise down. Of course it filters a bit also but it's never been changed in 5 yrs.

I dont see the need to have any media in your overflow, unless your sump is not big enough for some reason. I think turning your overflow into a filter just complicates things and runs the risk of your tank overflowing if it blocks up.

As for your other media options, you can use pretty much anything which has a high surface area. Do you have pics of your sump? Might help us to suggest other types of media or better ways to set it up.

I use lava rock sold in 20kg bags from a stone merchant. It has to be thoroughly cleaned before use (as with most media). Each piece of lava rock is about the size of a 10 cent piece. You can get it in red or black. I always put some mechanical filtration (multiple pieces of foam, different densities) before the water hits the rocks. Your biomedia won't like solid waste on it. I use a bag and a half of it in the sump of a 5x2x28 which has 30 tropheus in it and I have never shown a reading for ammonia or nitrites. I've also got it in a sump filtering 4 3x18x18's filled with tropheus and no readings there at any stage either. I put it in all my canister filters too and throw out whatever comes with them.

I'd never use anything else personally. I've tried bioballs and all that jazz.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived