Suitable companions for

jaymes007

mate, personally id keep them in a tank on there own because they can get really aggressive but if u have to move them put them in a tank with fish that are move higher swimming fish so they will kinda of stay out of the way of the tinanti's but once they start breeding u have to get them out cause they get so aggressive they will almost kill anything that comes near there batch..

andrew

I've kept these with plenty of africans.

mainly peacocks - but had a spare female in my frontosa tank with no problems. depending on the size though. If you've got them at 3 cm or so they've got very little bulk to them so you wouldn't want tank mates much bigger than double their length. They can stand up for themselves relatively easily against other fish but I've had problems in the past with a group (10+) of tinanti only in a tank. Plenty of aggression at night.

Few more details of tank size, size of tinanti & what other fish you've got available to go in with them if you get the chance?

Cheers

Matt

but once they start breeding u have to get them out cause they get so aggressive they will almost kill anything that comes near there batch..

Andrew's right here. I've had success breeding them with one pair in a tank but haven't had any luck with a pair in a tank with a colony of peacocks for example. Seems like my this pair in particular are more interested in eating than 'doing the deed'. Straight out of the spawning cave as soon as I come near the tank.

My larger males are about 12cm and can do some damage something comes too close dry.gif

I keep two pair in a tank with 2 african knives, two pair of kribs, several thomasi, 9 congo tetras, and some other tetras I cant remember the name of. They all get along fine. Occasionally the kribs will get fiesty towards the tinanti, but they are quickly sorted out with a short chase. Tinanti are definatly the boss of the tank tho... Tis a 6x2x2, so even when breeding there arent any injuries to any tankmates... Maybe I just have placid ones or something dntknw.gif

HTH,

Jason

Archived