Feral fish blasted in Perth

mianos

"Poison and explosives are being used to control a South American pearl cichlid outbreak in waterways in north suburban Lockridge and Kiara, West Australian Fisheries Minister Jon Ford says.

The target is a common aquarium fish which can have potentially devastating effects on the local ecosystem through predation and displacement of local species.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19566310-29277,00.html

Things are looking even more bleak for American cichlids. I wouldn't be surprised if most American cichlids are made illegal to keep within the next few years because of increasingly stupid incidents like this with people dumping fish in waterways.

Do you think the people who place the fish in the waterways are people who buy these fish unaware how big species get or how aggressive they are and decide to let them go thinking it to be the humane thing to do? What if LFS's advertised this issue or provided info on the consequences of releasing fish when no longer wanted?

What if LFS's advertised this issue or provided info on the consequences of releasing fish when no longer wanted?

I know of some that do. They have a cartoon poster up, showing a guy with evil looking fish in an aquarium. He is pouring them into a waterway, slogans...attached.

I have seen lfs staff say to customers, these get big, are fierce....Simply put, people are ignorant. shock.gif

Frenchy smile.gif

People like that deserve to be posioned and exploded, there the ones wrecking the hobby for the rest of us american keepers. The stockes with have at the moment are already way to far inbred with many starting to loose all good genes. eg. friedrichsthalii's ingonarnt b@r$t@rd$ like this are making it every bit harder for the rest of us to keep are fish let alone get new ones added to the import lists.

does any body know the actual species? are they brasiliensis? confused.gif they are commonly called pearl cichlids

yeah, i saw a snippet of them on LANDLINE, they were brasils alright! bit of a shame that they had their heads removed. some of them were quite large bigsmile.gif i'd have to agree that this behaviour by some D***head, could well jeopidise the further imports out here of any new species......shame its not like the states....you can have what ever you want over there...still, isolation is what makes this country great thumb.gif just makes it hard for us SA-CA heads.

Archived