Micron filter mesh

Brettmck

Does anyone know where i can get my hands on some low micron filter mesh. If your not sure what i mean, looks a bit like a clear silk like type of cloth comes in various grades right down to 3-5 microns. dntknw.gif

Cheers

Brett

what aperture size do you want?

A screen that fine (5μm) is going to get clogged up REALLY fast, 50μm is bad enough. Why dont you look into some other filter type, perhaps a diatomaceous earth polishing filter, I think that they filter to about 5μm. Or if it is biologicals you are hoping to exclude, perhaps a UV steriliser is the go.

If you are still keen for some filter mesh. try googling under the term "bolting cloth" It comes in nylon and stainless steel most commonly and something that fine is probably going to cost you. I have obtained some 500μm mesh before for a work project and I am fairly sure that I can find out where it was sourced from.

-Mat-

I'm with wormboy - what is it for? We use finer filters (<2 um) often... but in any gross aquarium application they are going to get clogged VERY fast.

Yeah clogging is a factor. What i'm trying to build is a final stage filter which I used a few years ago when i was studying aquaculture at uni. We were doing studies on abalonie to gage growth rates and rates of body mass loss due to starvation. In order to starve them the water had to be filtered to 2-3 microns. the water we were using was coming from our main system and had high levels of algae and copepods to feed the other test tanks. Experiment didn't go that well as one tank containing 3000 abs spawned and overloaded the fitration system - mass deaths.

Anyway, we had a system where the mesh was on a revolving belt which self cleaned via a spray jet, we still needed to give it a wash now and then but it worked. So i'm giving it a go again on my tang display tank.

Brett

Archived