Pseudotropheus tropheops ‘Chilumba’

Lee Miller

Hi all,

I recently bought some Pseudotropheus tropheops ‘Chilumba’ juveniles from a recognised and respected breeder. I was happy enough with them growing up until a couple of mates (who also have Chilumbas) told me that mine didn’t look quite right.

My girls were orange/brown with a 'brick' type pattern on their sides whereas everyone else's females and juveniles were a bright orange. I spoke to the breeder and we discussed diet and other possible causes but couldn’t identify the problem dntknw.gif

The Chilumbas started breeding and all the fry looked like mum; orange/brown with a 'brick' type pattern on their sides sad.gif

On the weekend I moved the colony from their home, a tank with medium/dark brown gravel to a tank with white coral sand. The change was almost instantaneous. The females are now (mostly) bright orange and even the surviving male (murdered the other two I had!) is much improved.

The fry I have around the place are still orange/brown with the brick pattern, but they are all swimming over reasonably dark substrate.

I've been aware for a long time of the effect that substrate colour can have on fish but this has really highlighted it for me. Just thought I'd share this with you all.

Cheers,

Lee.

PS: The colony of 1 male and 7 female Pseudotropheus tropheops ‘Chilumba’ look like taking a trip to the ‘Gong this weekend rolleyes.gif

I have found the same thing. I had mine on a bare bottom tank for the past few weeks while moving fish and tanks. They lost all the brightness they had a month ago.

I added lime sand to their tank 2 days ago and yesterday the girls were all nearly back to their bright orange.

It's definitely a diet thing too. I feed mine a lot of OSI spirulina which doesn't seem to do their orange colour a lot of favours. The ones in Auburn are almost msobo colour, as were mine when I bought them at 3cm. Mine are still a nice orange as adults, but more along the lines of a dull saulosi or johanni female.

I don't use tetra bits often (maybe once a month), but I'd say a diet high in beta carotine would brighten them up, along with the light substrate.

Not sure what other feed theirs. Gav? Craig?

Hi Andy /Lee

My foods I use is a variety

1 Feed per day HBH Vege Flake

1 Feed Per day NLS Pellet 1mm

1 Treat Feed Argent Cyclops eze

All great foods and I cant speak Highly enough of these products

I have marble chip on the bottom of most tanks

Cheers

Craig

Hello,

I have 20 of these guys brought over from somewhere in sydney and they have always been bright orange from picking them up to their first tank (sand and limestone), then a bare tank whilst I moved their tank and finally back to their original setup. All babies produced have come out smaller versions of parents with same orange. Mine only got HBH vegie flake for 6 months as they were growing up in same tank as juvenile tropheus and still showed bright orange colour . Now they are part of a mbuna display and get a bit of everything including microwaved pumpkin. Can anything this orange not help their colouring?? and they do enjoy their pumpkin and it makes for great veiwing as all the males put on full colours when pumpkin is on the line. I have a few cherry cheeks tropheus which have the discribed orange/brown brick appearance.

Phillip

Archived