Karalini stopped colouring?

lt2004

I have a colony of 11 adult Karalini coppers, 4m and 7f. They are in a 5 x 2 tank by themselves, a single rock in the middle of the tank and white aragonite sand.There is no lighting, as I found they didnt like this when first introduced.

I have had them for about 4 months now, in the first month had two males displaying and one mouthful 20-odd fry which are doing well. but over the last month or two the dominant males have stopped digging pits and colouring up, not sure what the problem is.

They are fed sera flora daily and froz brine shrimp 1-2 week, all are healthy.

Anyone got any tips on what might get them back into action?, as they are an awesome fish when in the mood.

thanks lyle

How ofter and how much water do you change. Do you use the salts. I think thay are very sensitive to water conditions.

I have a colony of 11 adult Karalini coppers, 4m and 7f. They are in a 5 x 2 tank by themselves, a single rock in the middle of the tank and white aragonite sand.There is no lighting, as I found they didnt like this when first introduced.

I have had them for about 4 months now, in the first month had two males displaying and one mouthful  20-odd fry which are doing well. but over the last month or two the dominant males have stopped digging pits and colouring up, not sure what the problem is.

They are fed sera flora daily and froz brine shrimp 1-2 week, all are healthy.

Anyone got any tips on what might get them back into action?, as they are an awesome fish when in the mood.

thanks lyle

Sometimes when my fish stopped spawning i would try and change around the tank maybe add a few rocks so that the tank looks a little different and the males start to colour up and stake out there new territorys this may help you also try a water change and make sure all your water parameters are correct and you may have a little more luck

thumbup.gif

Hi Lyle,

They are a great fish.... My favorites....

You are right. They don't like the bright light. I find it is the reflection off the substrate not the light it’s self. If you want to use a light try a darker substrate..... I don't use a light as they show better colour when the light hits them from the side rather than above.

As for the males no longer being coloured and pitting. Don’t be too stressed. You will find it is just they aren’t 100% happy. Mine do it if I am forced to stick something else in with them. They sulk for weeks. Or it could be water temp. Make sure you tank is 25-26c. I went to Auburn on the weekend and got 2 new Jagers for my bank and now the tanks are sitting on 25-26c I have two mouthfuls within 4 days.

Fist thing I would be doing is get the temp right. Next is a large water change. They love water changes. 50% is best but make sure you follow all the rules when doing water changes that large. If you are unsure be sure to ask.

Let us know how that goes.

Cheers

Ben

Archived