what cichlids do you keep and why

yellow

just thought id try to get a discussion going on what types of cichlids you keep and more importantly what it is about them that makes you keep them.for example why do tropheus keepers keep tropheus in particular etc.i mainly keep central and south americans and mbuna.ill explain why later though as i have to go out.

jason

I have gone back to where I started with fish.

I loved my Americans and have gone foll cicle Americans, Mbuna, Tangs, and now back to Americans and also american eartheaters.

Personality plus.

Love the looks

Love the size

Mbuna and other africans for me...

I went from keeping tropicals (guppies, mollies etc) to breeding africans to marine to some south americans and discus, then back to my africans...

Im currentely buying excellent quality stock too add to my colonies (mainly my mainganos) and breeding them....

HTH

I've always stuck with Americans as I love their parenting/ breeding behaviour and always had a like for the big brutes that some are, but now I have gone back to smaller less aggressive American species as I now have only one tank. I had a shot at mbuna at one stage which was enjoyable but sadly had to get rid of the tank and the mbuna ( saulosi )didn't compare with my americans.....

Mine has been, like so many others, a progresson of difficulty over years then a narrowing down to the ones you love the most hug.gif

Started with mbuna - ALL - of them dry.gif progressed to tangs, dabbled with americans and cats.

Now collect Tropheus for their size and shape and Alpha tendencies - 10 variants and growing blush.gif some featherfins including Tricoti, some Altos as well for their shape and cunning.

The last of the mbuna include demasoni for their colour and feisty nature - there is a definate trend here I think woot.gif and now there is a newfound interest in some of the newer cats - and some of the ones I have wanted for years and now own eg Panaques. All the cat tanks are like still life shots but we know they are there LOL.gif

I have always kept what I like and have never had the heart to sell off colonies - all my original colonies, and spare males, are still with us and are living their lives out in some display tanks. This will have to change soon however as even 60 tanks did not provide the fry growouts we intended blush.gif

Cheers

i have currently a mix, although most of my tanks are occupied by Africans , i have a group of dicrozosters in my catfish tank , my all time favourite fish are catfish i currently keep and hope to breed are the L168, L104 , albino bristlenose and some sterbei cories, if i had the time id keep more catfish but as they require the most maintenance unfortunately for now i only have two tanks for them,

cheers

i have currently a mix, although most of my tanks are occupied by Africans , i have a group of dicrozosters in my catfish tank , my all time favourite fish are catfish i currently keep and hope to breed are the L168, L104 , albino bristlenose and some sterbei cories, if i had the time id keep more catfish but as they require the most maintenance unfortunately for now i only have two tanks for them,

cheers

Hi Sarah.

What are dicrozosters

I put the name in a google search and came up with zip.

Can you share this one please.

the personality of a buddy of mine's breeding convicts attracted me to them & their bigger & badder cousins.

I've just got some malawians growing out that are interesting but in a different, less personal way (E Yellows & Lwanda peacocks).

I started with Americans to observe the parenting caring skills. It was either Cichlids or Marine, otherwise I would have contemplated leaving the hobby. I got sick of tropicals, not much personality, and far too many deaths.

WELL, when i was 9 and my mate was 10,(35 years ago) we went to the local fish shop.....i bought a tangerine zebra and he bought a black shark.....since then i have spent thousands on every kind of freshwater fish that has been available....i grew tired of blue and yellow fish and now have discovered the fantastic world of eartheaters....with more and more of them becoming available.....these strange and wonderful creatures have captured me completely..they are reasonably easy to breed and they never fight to the point of death....i just love em...im also growing up a tank full of SA-CA mungrals as FEATURE FISH to fill my 8x2x2......by the way my mate now owns a fish shop and STILL HAS HIS BLACK SHARK!! shock.gif its about 3 foot long and eats peas from his fingers. thats what and thats why thumb.gif

I have run the guantlet with fish keeping over the years. Started off with a 10 gallon little tropical community tank and my obsession grew to 14 tanks and I've had a crack at breeding, live bearers, tetras, cyprinids, anabantids, malawian, SA and CA cichlids, but I was always very keen on Tanganyikans, but they were really hard to find. Not sure why, but they struck a chord with me. I got out of fish keeping all together and only got back into it about 3 years ago. Now I keep strictly Tangs. I currently have

C. leptosoma "utinta" - breeding

C. frontosa - growing out young

E. cyanostictus - breeding and growing out fry

J. marleri

N leleupi - breeding

N. multifasciatus - breeding colony

O ventralis - just set up a new breeding colony

Tropheus duboisi - new colony of juvies

Tropheus "bemba" - new colony of juvies

P nigripinnis - had my first mouthful last month

V moori - growing out some juvies. Almost breeding size

They are great fish!

Cheers

James.

I keep tropicals, in particular your dwarfs. My original choices were what could fit in a 3ft. After lots of looking I came across Apistogramma cacatoides and thus began my fish hobby. From there it spread to other apistos, other dwarfs, I had a fair few west african and it is here that my interest still lays. Otherwise my 3ft is pretty much dominated by 4 african leaf fish (Ctenopomas). I enjoy them they have great personality. Shame they anything that will fit.

Adam

now that i'm back i'm starting from scratch, besides my 2 year old dovii and a pleco that is.

so far i have gotten hold of a breeding pair of Jewels (which i had given a mate before i left) and some tropicals at my folks place.

from the latter, i am going to steal back some bristlenoses and 2 tiny discus and some plant clippings to start off a nice planted tank.

lastly, (for now at least) i am getting some comps.

ryan.

Most things tanganyikan

because of their different shapes, attitudes and behaviours, most are workers, and like to help create their own bioscape, which make the tank look more natural.

Also because their is many different genera of fish, all having different colours, and areas of the tank. It is possible to have a great display tank with out the fear of crossbreeding, and excess aggression.

Dovii.. beacuse there the shibby. The have great colour, great personalitys, and need huge tanks :p I also wanna get a pairs of festae's, piebald midas's, mota's, & odo's. I know my chances are slim to none but hey, we can dream right?

Tangs mainly:

Leptosoma "Utinta"

Multies

Xenotilapia

I like Tangs because they are so damn unique compared to other cichlids, say in comparison to Malawi, most malawians are the same (mbuna) etc. but they have varying colour.

I also have a convict breeding pair because they are cute :p

Bruce

Mainly Mbuna (Yellows, maingano, Afra 'cobwe', demasoni), a few peacocks (A Baenschi"Nkomo Reef', A Hueseri), little tangs (J transcritus'gombe Is', J regani 'mboka', calvus) and a couple of catfish (BN's and Peppermints) for at the moment. Until I extend my fish room (or get an extension my house fish tank allowance :lol3: ) it will probably stay that way. I will be putting a 6x2xsomething(2 or 18) in the house with Tropheus (definitely dubosi 'maswa' and some other type). Other than that not much for a while. apparnetly kids need to eat :roll:lol3:

cheers

rosco

Love to Tanganyikans because like previous members have said; they all have their own attitudes and behaviour, each contributing their own lifestyle to the rest of the tank. They also are a good challenge to breed, and a even bigger accomplishment when they to manage to breed. Also the varying tank sizes which they need is very flexible, from 1fters for shellies, to 8fters for frontosas.

Love em.

cheers; Richard

Archived