Tied Fighter!

xzbit

Hi All,

Very new to the Betta World and in fact this is my gf's fish, but she has a regular fighter you get from the LFS, and she's had it around 10 months and quite recently its just been sitting at the bottom of the bowl and not coming up for food. Being feed freeze dried bloody worm pellets. I'm not sure how long it hasn't eaten, but I assume it been a couple days. Does anyone have an explaniation as to why this is happening? or ways I can get back the fighting spirit of this fighter?

Thanks,

Raymond

Well, really need a little more info on her setup. Is the bowl heated?? im guessing it isnt and thats why its all of a sudden sitting on the bottom of the bowl, cause its getting colder and so is the Fish's water. Please check the temperature of the fish's water. try keep it at around 26 degrees at all times.

Also how often does she change the fish's water??? and what are the ammonia, pH nitrate etc levels?

These kinda values will help people identify more easily what could be wrong with the fish,

Brad

thanks for your advice Brad,

Info as follows:

Well, as for the water changes, that was done on Saturday, so quite recently. Water temp, we live up here in Darwin, so it's not heated and will always be around 28-30 degrees all year round. ph and nitrate levels, considering it's just in a small bowl and water is fresh from the tap, id have to say ph will be around 6, nitrate, will have to test and ammonia, will be low, as the water was changed on Saturday.

Thanks

Raymond

Hey,

well sounds like u got water params covered if u doing regular waterchanges and bowl being ok temps. If he only started looking sick after u did the last water chance, maybe do another just incase the water got contaminated somewhow

Hmm, any other signs of what might be causing a problem? white stringy Poo or anything? There used to be a good Link in the faq forum and in a stickied thread at the top of the page which gave good descriptions of common disease and their symptoms, but its gone for some reason dntknw.gif Hopefully some other people pipe in with some possible answers to the problem. Havent done anything different with the fish or tank u never done before?

Brad.

Just found out this morning it died, so obviously something was wrong with him. I don't think there was anything different done with him. It has gotten a little cooler here, but nothing that should effect him! Thanks for your help anyway Brad!

Now that you mention it, I thought there would be a sticky with common probs with them? confused.gif Oh well, hopefully have some better luck next time! He survived with my gf for nearly a year! Early predictions from her sister was that it would only last a week!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

ever though that he might just be getting old?

Most of the LFS veil tails are nearly 6-9months before the hit the shops. They're usually already big fish when they are sold. 10 months more he should be in geartric care.

Serious? That might well have been the case! But yeah survived for 10 months in her care and yeah he was quite big when we got him! Thanks for the info! What's the life span of these guys?

Archived