what should i do

trofius

Hey all

recently i sold 50 bristlenoses to a shop, on a friday , by monday all dead including all the albino bristlenose and transcriptus that were in the tank aswell. All fish were killed by whitespot...lucky the white calvus were not effected.

SOme of my tanks at home did have white spot at the time, but i was carefull to ensure clean nets (soak in boiling water then very strongmulticure permamnantly) i caught out the bristlnoses into another small tank so i could grade them, sorted out the bigger ones for the shop , bagged them up and off they went, got my cash, they were happy with them all clean no spots. all the extra bristlenoses were added back to their big tank, no sign of the white spot on any bristlenose in that tank...i check twice a day now.

I feel really bad that this happened, should i replace the fish for free, give back the cash, or just leave it as doo doo happens, and continues as normal. I really like this shop and would love to remain a loyal customer/supplier. dntknw.gif

Maybe you should speak to them and ask them what they want you to do? It may not of been you fault as many LFS's have whitespot in a lot of their tanks anyway. Or give back half of the bristlenoses or half of the money?

Bruce

If you want to continue doing business with this shop you would want to make sure they are happy with the outcome.

If you bought 50 bristlenose off someone & they all died of Whitespot in 3 days what would you expect in return?

If they think the Whitespot came from you I would explain that you don't think it did but you will refund their money to cover some of their losses.

HTH

Cheers Dave

Is it just me or is anyone else surprised that whitespot killed 50 BN in a few days? I've seen whitespot decimate a whole tank and the BN remain unaffected. The only thing I've seen kill that many BN would be very cold water. I'm not saying this is not possible just not something I've not seen. MY BN fry seem *very* hardy as far as dumping them from tank to tank, even at 1cm.

On the other hand I'd want to talk to the shop about some arrangement so they are happy if you want to sell them more fish.

What size were the bn. I have had problems with changing water conditions for bn under about 3 cm. I won't buy or sell at much under 3.5-4 cm

Hey all

recently i sold 50 bristlenoses to a shop, on a friday , by monday all dead including all the albino bristlenose and transcriptus that were in the tank aswell. All fish were killed by whitespot...lucky the white calvus were not effected.

SOme of my tanks at home did have white spot at the time, but i was carefull to ensure clean nets (soak in boiling water then very strongmulticure permamnantly) i caught out the bristlnoses into another small tank so i could grade them, sorted out the bigger ones for the shop , bagged them up and off they went, got my cash, they were happy with them all clean no spots. all the extra bristlenoses were added back to their big tank, no sign of the white spot on any bristlenose in that tank...i check twice a day now.

I feel really bad that this happened, should i replace the fish for free, give back the cash, or just leave it as doo doo happens, and continues as normal. I really like this shop and would love to remain a loyal customer/supplier. dntknw.gif

hey,

I would be replacing the 50 bn first off. What does the owner think was the cause?, was the ws isolated to the 1 tank where your bn went?

I am sure there are plenty of other people the shop can get fish off, so to ensure a ongoing relationship you need to do something.

JMO

Thanks for the replies

having chated to him yesterday we both agreed that the whitespot originated from my fish, it was their only tank affected.

cause, must have been contamination from somewere and it just never showed up, also i think the pH in their tank may have been a tad higher, my tank has no substrate, and heaps of wood, theres had a heap of small shells for substrate, it was a tanganyikan tank...maqybe the sudden ph change cause the bristlnoses to show the whitespot..

anyways i will monitor my tanks and GIVE them another 20 next week.

hullo smile.gif

I'm sorry I'm pretty sure this is my first post after months of reading, but they dumped blink.gif50 fish into one tank at the same time and expected a good turnout? clap.gif

I'm not sure if you could exactly put it down to just the WS that killed them.

Matt smile.gif

Interesting...

Perhaps it was whitespot from your fish.

BUT

No doubt they would have been stressed by the change in water chemistry which would have enabled the whitespot to be so lethal so quickly.

and

How much attention did they pay to them....did they see on the onset of whitespot and begin treatment or were they all ok Sunday afternoon and all dead the next morning?

Regardless of the facts...you are obviously honorable in your dealings..

Hope they don't kill the next 20!!!

Archived