Breeding Neo. brevis

timmy2422

Hey guys. I have a pair of brevis that i have been trying to breed but they just wont. I bought them as a pair and they hadnt breed and have had them for a fair while. They are in a 2 foot tank to them selves with 6 or 7 shells, some big some small. Does anyone have any tips on breeding these guys

Here is a pic i toke a while ago.

user posted image

user posted image

Are the photo's of each fish...or the same fish?

Both the fish in the photos(due to size and colour) look like mature females to me???

I thought only the females get the yellow belly when in breeding condition?

If they aren't breeding they maybe the same sex!

Proven pairs are easy to sex....males are a lot larger and different shape in the face.

A proven pair of N. brevis

user posted image

Good Start!

Sounds like you have a pair....female looks in Good nick!

Mine are still maturing so I can't give you any tips....but ALL the other shellies I have seem to be like rabbits???

Hope yours are like that soon!

HEy

well thats a pic of mine that rod has posted , and a pretty ordinary one at that , cant really see their colours.

I found they do better in a smaller tank, when moved to a 2x15x15 theyt stopped breeding, moved them back to a 12x8x8 inch tank and fry again, although they have started the bad habbit of eating them i beleive, i only se eth efry for about 2 days then all gone, find the odd dead one in the tank aswell.

I finsd it is best to give tghem a big shell, and place a lot of smaller shells for the fry around the base of their little hill. and ignore them pretty much.

HEy

well thats a pic of mine that rod has posted , and a pretty ordinary one at that , cant really see their colours.

I found they do better in a smaller tank, when moved to a 2x15x15 theyt stopped breeding, moved them back to a 12x8x8 inch tank and fry again, although they have started the bad habbit of eating them i beleive, i only se eth efry for about 2 days then all gone, find the odd dead one in the tank aswell.

I finsd it is best to give tghem a big shell, and place a lot of smaller shells for the fry around the base of their little hill. and ignore them pretty much.

When would you remove the fry from the parents, how many is a good number to have in a tank??

Archived