Cleaning Glass on an ex saltwater tank

sicj

I have a saltwater tank and there is all these pink stuff all over the glass now i dont want to scratch the glass i need to clean the front of the tank especially the back and sides i do not mind if they have the stuff on them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get this stuff off my glass and not scratch the glass any help would be great thanks dntknw.gif

I got a pretty filthy secondhand tank a while ago, and posted a request for algae-removing techniques.

Somebody (forgot who, sorry) advised the use of Sera pH-minus diluted in hot water. It worked very well!

HTH,

I find the only effective way is to use a scraper with a razor blade. Used carefully it won't scratch the glass.

I have a saltwater tank and there is all these pink stuff all over the glass now i dont want to scratch the glass i need to clean the front of the tank especially the back and sides i do not mind if they have the stuff on them.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get this stuff off my glass and not scratch the glass any help would be great thanks  dntknw.gif

Sera pH-minus diluted in hot water

I assume you are talking about Sodium Biphosphate? If so, you won’t need to get the Sera product.

I wonder if this would take off the calcium build-up that comes on the top glass/s of an African tank?

To clean your tank, as suggested, use a blade, and scrape it off. Don’t use a green scoura pad as this will probably scratch your glass. You may want to aid the blade with some fine steel wool, and metho as a lubricant.

Craig

pink stuff all over the glass now i dont want to scratch the glass

Does anyone have any ideas on how i can get this stuff off my glass and not scratch the glass any help would be great thanks  dntknw.gif

this 'pink stuff' will more than likely be coraline algae.

this is a very hard calcerous material. however you try to remove it, be carefull. it is harder than glass and will scratch the glass easerly

I would suggest trying some white vineger being a weak acid it disolves the calcium and algae deposits quite well, put one some rubber gloves soak a cloth in vineger (2Lt cost less than $2) and soak the deposits before using a blade or lightly scrubbing.

Also the one scourer that I found didnt scratch my glass is the "Vileda" brand it comes in a thin rectangular one and a fatter odd shaped one.

Anthony.

Get some cal-stop from you local swimming pool store.

Warm Water.

Soak on with sponge.

leave for a couple of hours.

hose tank clean.

Safety

Gloves

Eye protction

Read manufacturers safety data sheet

Allan

Archived