ATTN: Urgent ID needed.

burgoid

Today at a LFS I spotted somthing that really got me excited. Looked almost identical to a Zaliosus but with not quite a steep forehead. It was about 5-6'' and had two spots one was a eye-spot in the upper half of the tail the second was on the lateral line and was quite a bit larger it also had a stripe running thorugh it. It was very deep bodied either which is making me think it isnt a barred midas/devil. However what makes me bieleve it more a hybrid than a zailosus is the fact that I didnt think we had them in Australia anymore. Ive heard people say they've seen them a while ago (many years) but not latley. I asked the shopkeeper if they knew the ID of it and said they werent sure as it was traded in by a young boy after it killed all his other fish. Can anyone tell me if ive hit the jackpot or if its just another hybrid.

Cheers. Dave

P.s it had red eye's tongue.gif

Mate get a picture up here asap..

You may have hit the jackpot here...alot of young kids who have fish start off with the fish the parents bought them for their birthday etc. The fish are grown up, the dominant one kills the others and is then traded in..

Then again it could be a hybrid which the kid bought for $5...lol

Try to get us a pic.

Ok heres the pics. Somthing else that works in my favour is the fact it has 8 bands.... Same as Zaliosus's whilst pics ive seen on conxmidas/devil mixes seem to have 7...

sorry for the poor quality as well only had a few minuets to get them. O and BTW he actually isnt showing as much red as u can see in these pics, almost more of a blue tinge especially on his cheeks.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I don't think there's anything convictish about it at all - I'd say it's either Amphilophus zaliosus as you're hoping (though it is a little light from the photos I've seen) or some sort of zaliosus/RD/Midas cross.

I've seen RD/Midas keep the juvie barred colour upto that size before but never with the colours so nicely defined, they've always been messy & starting to colour morph.

Oh, someone on here had them! blush.gif

Check out the pics of them on Jeff Rapp's site...

(these are what my previous comments were based off)

Tangled up in Cichlids link

AFAIK these would be adults (In Jeff Rapp's pics) & therefore have more of the developed head hump, I think they max out at only 8" (compared to their RD/Midas/Trimac cousins) so 5-6" fish should really be getting a hump if they are male (your guy's finnage makes it look male) so that combined with the pale colour could lean more towards the Midas/RD with juvie colouring.

However as I said above usually by 10cm RD/Midas go much paler than that particular fish with the barring less pronounced

The Amphilophus labiatus Species Complex

In the above link the photos on Rapp's site look more like a barred midas & the photos of yours look more like the zaliosus so now I'm really confused huh.gif

Well heres a quote that aquamojo ( one of the leading US amercian cichlid keepers) posted on another forum to this question.

It's an Amphilophus zaliosum. It's also one of the Amphilophus species that don't interbreed with other Amphilophus species in the wild. Not a cross...and it's a male.

I currently planning out tanks so I can get him. If anyone one knows who the member owning zaliosus's could you please let me know as im after a couple more to try and setup a breeding program. As some of you may remmeber ive been after this fish for soooooo long. So any help is greatly appreciated.

No idea! For some reason I thought it was Merjo (obviously) so perhaps they are in Perth? dntknw.gif

I really don't have a clue sorry

Archived