Tankmates in tang tank

wormboy

Hey all raisehand.gif

Well I've finally got around to moving my 8x2x2 into my new house and I'm changing it from the planted tank it was to a mixed Tang community.

Here is my plan for stocking.

1) I've already got 9 T. 'moliro' (one didn't make it through the move cryblow.gif) which I wub.gif and I would like to keep them and wait for them to increase their own numbers. I figure this will be OK given that there will be other fish in there to act as dithers and it is a big tank.

2) I've got my eye on a colony of Cyps (kibishis if I can still get them dry.gif ) perhaps 10, once again with a view to them increasing their own numbers.

3) I would like a few (3-4) Eretmodus just to scoot around the rock piles and basically be clowns.

4) Cleanup crew, probably 2 small plecs or an army of BNs

Finally I want a centrepiece species, my wife has requested C. foai 'magara' and I wouldnt mind O. ventralis 'Mtoto' or perhaps O. boops 'nkondwe'.

So the questions are regarding the centerpiece fish:

Firstly can I keep the two genera together or are there interbreeding / territory problems?

Secondly, can I fit them in the tank given the proposed tankmates?

And thirdly, if there can be only one, which is likely to give me the most consistent colour and displays as adults?

cheers all thumb.gif

-Mat-

I have kept O boops nkondwe and C foai ruziba but only ever in single colonies. My observation is that O Boops need plenty of space and are quite a feisty fish for a featherfin. You wouldn't want to overstock the tank or be in a position where the dominant male didn't have a really large area of his own otherwise he will spend the whole time dive bombing intruders, the sub-dominant male or females.

The C foai get on well together but are otherwise pretty fragile. Mine used to get bullied about by a sole male Cyprochromis they shared a tank with. As a centrepiece colony, and assuming none of your other fish are aggressive, they would settle in abit better than the nkondwe.

Having said that 8 x 2 x 2 is a big tank. Maybe put the Foai or Boops in first and then introduce the others by species.

David

i got a 2x0.75meter tank with 8 opthalmotilapia ventralis Kambwimba, 12?Cyp mpulungu and 2 Eretmodus. they all get on well and the 2 dominate ventralis each own half of the tank. Theres a little bit of chasing but nothing to cause any damage.

i wouldnt have a clue about mixing the feather fins but maybe a trio or quad of each?

james

I have never understood this approach. Control your light, and you’ll probably control your algae, other wise the pleco will just crap up the tank which is the opposite to a clean up. I organise my light to not, or to limit the amount of light that falls on my front glass, every where else algae is welcome to grow.

I have none of these fish in my big tank, and I would spend 10 minutes a month maintaining glass. And what I clean off I doubt a pleco would touch anyway.

I wouldn’t put any type of Tropheus with foai. They will not mix, and an 8x2x2, is still a drop in the bucket compared to the size of Lake Tanganyika.

I have also been told that foai and boobs don’t mix.

Craig

LOL.gifLOL.gif

I agree with you Craig but the reason I have included these fish is because I like the effect that they produce when they munch on the limestone rocks. It creates a speckeldy appearance as the algae is allowed to grow in the deeper cracks while the stuff on top is cropped. I've done it previously and I like it. smile.gif

assuming none of your other fish are aggressive
you mean like tropheus aggressive?

Opps - looks like my wife is right, I have got a one track mind. blush.gifLOL.gifwink2.gif

you mean like tropheus aggressive?

Personally I don't find Tropheus aggressive. They only appear that way when we as hobbyists don't house, or mix and match them to their requirements. They are full on active fish, the issues we have with their (?) aggression I don't believe would happen in nature. It is just when put into inappropriate conditions (too small), you see an adoration to their natural behaviour.

In the years I have been keeping my K1 colony (which has now grown to 50), I have never lost a fish due to aggression (seen lots of loose scales though). I recon I know what would happen to a foai’s fins, and shortly there after its body if I were to put one in with them.

I think if I put a group of Tropheus in with my 3m tank, I would eventually see the same results to my foai too.

Think of them a bit like tiger barbs in that they are constantly on the move chasing and being chased, provided their tank's co-inhabitants are equally mentally and physically as capable, then no damage done.

It is our fault as a aquatist when things go wrong.

Craig

Mat......

Well mate it should be nice when finished and stocked, just a few points i have found whilst having similar combinations..

Foai can be cranky fish, espesially to conspecies, one male in a tank with females and his fins will grow long and pretty, two males and they get tatty, My foai magara are in a 6x2x2 there is 2m and 2 f the boys have half a tank each, but still one is by far more dominant then the other. there is als a trio of duboisi in this tank 1m, 2f, both sets of fish breed well and regularly, i strip both as the foai tend to eat fry. the tropheus pretty much ignore the foai, infact the foai chase the duboisi from their nest, which the duboisis tend to borrow for breeding..

I also have an 8x2x2 tang display

user posted image

there is

30 Tropheus Kachese

4 xeno spilopterous

3 ventralis,

5 leleupi

2 sexfasciatus

1 buescheri

1 eretmodus

3 leptos.

I have found that leptos get spooked and pretty much stopp breeding when in the same tank as either tropheus, or foai as they are both to darty for them, leptos do better with sandsifters, but then again sand sifters are a great addition to any tang tank, pretty interesting, peacefull.

Clean up crew, the previous comments are correct plecos are dirty buggers, tropehus will keep any good green algae down to a nice lawn, but the front glass will need a quick whip every week or two. a few smaller bristnoses might be ok, or maybe ( my preference) get some small ~4/5cm (or all male) cuckoo cats to clean up any extra foods if you get a bit heavy handed..

I feed most of my fish NLS in the mornings and sera flora flake at night. all eat well.

Hope this helps.

Archived