Filtering a 6x2.5x2.5

mezzacam

Hello.

I am hopefully getting a 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.ft tank soon, if all things turn out according to plan.

It does not have any holes drilled in it, though will get them done if required.

So first of all my main concern is how to filter it? I intend on it being a tang display tank, and i first thought of a sump system being appropriate.

What size pump would i need? And also what size hole/piping?

I have absolutely no idea when it comes to piping for a system...

Can someone help me out?

Cheers, Cameron.

My 6x2x2.5 is a tang display tank. I got Xtreme aquariums to drill my holes. I got a 25mm hole in each back corner. The holes have bulkheads in them and PVC piping is pushed into the bulkheads. The PVC leads down to the sump which is a 4fter with about 1000 bioballs. I have an 8000l/h pump on there. It pushes the water up a single pipe which splits at the top as it reenters the tank. This works fine for me (when I got the weirs installed).

Bruce

Sumps are useful for larger tanks although not 100% necessary. I believe Toufic filters his 6x2x2 with only cannisters and internals.

I run a sump as well as 2 cannisters. I like this arrangement as it allows me to customise the flow of the water in the tank as well as allowing me not to rely on one filter to do everything.

The only complaint I have against sumps are that they only skim the water and therefore do not get any of the waste at the lower levels.

Yep!

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=22092

Still going strong. Cleaned the canisters in February. Crystal clear water. Only things I get is poo on the white marble, which usually gets swished around between rocks.

On a 6x2.5x2.5, I would go with a sump and a larger turnover. A couple of internal filters would help polish the water and provide more circulation. Those you would wnat to clean every week or two or whenever depending on the tank occupants.

Terry has a nicely set up 6x2x2 with 8000lph pump(I think). VERY clean!

The only complaint I have against sumps are that they only skim the water and therefore do not get any of the waste at the lower levels.

If you have a standpipe not surrounded by a weir you can put a tube over it to cause it to draw from the bottom, like so...

user posted image

my buddy's 8x2s are setup like this - one drawing from the bottom & one skimming - best of both worlds.

So simple.. but very clever.,. Im going too do that too mine tomorrow!! thanks!..

I have 3 1" Pvc pipes threw the base of my 6 X 2 X 2.5. Into 2 separate drums. one is setup as a swirl separator. and the other filled with bioballs and the sub pump.. not ideal. but works ok!

Then a 1500lph canister

top of the water is immaculate.. but all the poo hangs around 1 end. so ill do exactly that!! Hope it works!! thanks!!

!!

If you have a standpipe not surrounded by a weir you can put a tube over it to cause it to draw from the bottom, like so...

user posted image

my buddy's 8x2s are setup like this - one drawing from the bottom & one skimming - best of both worlds.

Hello.

I am hopefully getting a 6ft x 2.5ft x 2.ft tank soon, if all things turn out according to plan.

It does not have any holes drilled in it, though will get them done if required.

So first of all my main concern is how to filter it? I intend on it being a tang display tank, and i first thought of a sump system being appropriate.

All types of filtering have their pros and cons. What you need to decide on first is the turnover rate. You want it to turn over around 6 times per hour. Can you get a canister filter to do this?

In all likelihood, it will be simpler to use a sump system. So your first step is to decide "what pump to use?".

A sump system will also alow you to include other areas "made to measure" to your tastes (bio area, heater section, limestone/coral sand for buffing etc)

What size pump would i need? And also what size hole/piping?

Match up your plumbing size to equal the inlet and outlet size of the pump decided upon. Get your holes drilled the next size up from this size and plumb the holes down to = the pumps inlet outlet size. That way if you ever decide to increase pump size (which will in all likelihood mean bigger inlet/outlet, you want be stopped because your hole sizes are too small. It will make little difference to the costs.

I have absolutely no idea when it comes to piping for a system...

You'll really need to have a weir system if you go with a sump. If you go with a large canister, you can have inlet/outlet directly plumbed into the bottom.

If and when you get your tank drilled, here is a trick that will greatly reduce/prevent future issues. Deep tanks are hard to get to the bottom to do maintenance. The trick is to not have to get to the bottom to do maintenance, and that is simply achieved through water flow. Make sure your prime pump turns over at least 6 times per hour (my 2'7" Tropheus is turned over 11 times per hour), and in addition, have some extra holes drilled to allow another pump to be plumbed into the bottom. My Tropheus tank once again has an OR 3500 (I think it's called), one inlet (to pump), and three outlets into bottom of tank, which I control via taps. The return water can come back into the tank via one tap, or two or all three.

In addition, I have a lot of air in there to create a vertical current, and with the pumps creating a horizontal current, there is a stack of movement in there. The idea behind all this is so that any solids stay in suspension, if it says in the water it will be taken out by the filter = a very clean tank, water volume, and substrate surface.

Can someone help me out?

• Water turn over via filter 6 + times per hour

• Hole sizes to match one size up from pump inlet/outlet size, and plumbed down to match.

• Get as much water movement as possible to reduce in tank maintainance.

Craig

Hi,

Ive got a 8x2x2 tang setup. Got 2 big external canister filters,2000ltr + 2500ltr loaded up full of coral and balls, 2 internal filters 1000, 1500. Works a treat loads of fish and spotless! Put heaps of media in your external fiters and you'll be fine without a sump.

Archived