Algae eaters in cichlid tank

Rol&Jas

Hi,

I'm going to set up a 6X2X2 cichlid community tank and would like to put some catfish in there apart from common bristlnesose.

I need recommendations what type of catfishes can I put in cichlid water? I'm only interested in algae eaters.

Thank you

Roland

Go a pl*co (common or gold) or a L001. I had both in a community cichlid tank no probs.

I have also seen gibbis in a similar tank looking quite comfortable. If you can find one, maybe get a 10cm+ one just to save a bit of "is he going to get eaten" stress on your part.

-Mat- thumb.gif

define too large, L001s only reach 8in according to planetcatfish mine got to about that and stopped growing.

If you dont like that, perhaps some of the more flashy BNs like albinos or orange-spots, a little bit more dressy than commons but still tough as old boots. Probably wouldn't recommend peps for a cichlid display, you would rarely see them (like mine dry.gif ).

What sort of cat did you have in mind?

-Mat-

My wife, Jassila likes the royal whiptails, but we were told that they would not do good in the cichlid tank.

I already have bristlenose in the community tank and will put clown plecos and albino bristlenose. I do not want anything that grows much bigger than 15cm. The other factor is the price.

You are right about the peppermints, because I have a colony that I cannot see. Wouldn't the common bristlenose chase them out of their hiding places smile.gif ?

Roland

What about a big snail or two?
LOL.gifLOL.gif , I dont know if one snail will make a dent in the algae in a tank the size of yours Bruce and 2 snails = millions of snails, which is OK if thats what you want.

My wife, Jassila likes the royal whiptails, but we were told that they would not do good in the cichlid tank.
they would get hammered in no time in a cichlid tank, you'd end up with royal stumptails LOL.gif

Wouldn't the common bristlenose chase them out of their hiding places
In general, give them plenty of options and everyone is happy smile.gif

I stick by the L001s, and Ancistrus spp. but if you dont like the sound of that then I'm all out of ideas. I dont really know of any other small cheap-(ish) Loricarids that would do well in a cichlid display.

Archived