Latex background

ajk

Hi guys,

Does a latex background need to be silconed in? Im contemplating not silconing it in but im concerned that it may move around or fish may get stuck begind it.

If i silicone it in does it have to be water tight or does water get behind it?

Ant help would be great - im a little confused dntknw.gif

Thanks

Andrew

Hi guys,

Does a latex background need to be silconed in? Im contemplating not silconing it in but im concerned that it may move around or fish may get stuck begind it.

If i silicone it in does it have to be water tight or does water get behind it?

Ant help would be great - im a little confused  dntknw.gif

Thanks

Andrew

YES mate, silicone it in!!!!

I had a 6x2x2 without it siliconed in and not only does it gape in areas ( looks ugly ) it allows the fish to hide behind it and not be visible , it collects gunk and crap behind it which you cannot vacuum out and it takes up more space in your tank thatn needed.

I layed my 5x2x2 in my garage on it's back on some 4 be 2's weighed down the background with rocks and went through 2 clear tubes and 2 brown ( looks great if you go over the clear with a guttering brown , do this once the clear dries about 2-3 days later ).

The whole process took me a week but the background is 100% sealed ( not even a neon can go behind it thumbup.gif ). It's worth the work to avoid alot of hassles later.

If you want any tips on siliconing it in feel free to PM me.

Have fun!

Rob

If you can get a tight enough seal it may not require to be siliconed in.

The backgrounds usually come a big bigger then specifed for the tank size. On one of my tanks i had to trim the background and accidently took too much of and now fish can get behind there!

It can actually be good, as battered females and others can hide behind there.

Andrew,

I siliconed my background in on my 6x2x2. It was a few years ago, but it wasn't that much hassle at all. I had to trim the top left corner of it due to the design of my filteration down pipe but just siliconed around that too.

Water still gets in behind it due to imperfections in the latex background and some small gaps in silicone. But I've never had a fish, not even my neon's, squeeze in behind there.

From memory, I just used lengths of wood to chock up the background. I just wedged them against the front bottom edge of the front of the tank and the top of the latex. Smaller lengths can be used for wedging against lower sections of the latex. Just leave the wood in place until the silicone has gone off.

p.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Jon, I wish i had of seen your job before i started on mine. Im trying to work out if i can get some plumbing down the back for the intake like yours before i silicone it in any further. If the background isn't siliconed in completely, will crap get stuck down the back and cause problems?

Maybe i can place the spray bar behind the background to keep up the water flow?

If there is a hole somewhere there is always that chance that something might get in there. Something can be a fish or otherwise...

I have two of the filters pumping water back out from behind the background with a total flow of about 1400L/hr, I wouldn't try it without putting some holes in there to release the water pressure though. I just put some elbows on the end of the return hose, one at bottom level and the other at mid-tank level. The 4 x 20mm holes I have in mine seem to be more than enough, I can't feel any current coming from them with my hand, but you can see floating particles move when they go by.

How much has been siliconed in so far? If it's not too much you could aways cut it back out dntknw.gif

Archived