Riccia/Grass plants in a 6ft

TALLNEV

Here is the problems/questions I have.

I have a tank 72 x 14 x 20. I want to grow Riccia or some other grass type plant which will grow all over the substrate and driftwood I put in the tank. My tank has a 4ft 40w aqua glow light and a 6ft light which is 2 x 3 ft 30w power glo lights. The current substrate is coral sand, I do not have a C02 system and don't want one.

Do I really need a C02 system?

Do I need to change the substrate?

What plant do you best suggest?

I was thinking of putting a couple of Discus in the tank.

I am trying to save as much money as possible.

I have attached a link to what I am hoping to achieve.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/TAL...amanobig_10.jpg

You don't "need" CO2 to grow Riccia, I have grown it without it. It takes a little while longer for it to grow though and can be a bit of a hit and miss thing.

You have plenty of light output at the moment so that works in your favour as well. (Although I think it may be well short of the 3W per gallon rule....)

I dont think you have much of a shot at that sort of without CO2. Doesn't Takashi Amano use CO2 in all of his planted tanks (this is one of his right?)?

Someone will correct me if wrong but coral sand will keep the pH up and thats another thing the plants wont really appreciate.

I have some riccia at the moment that is only growing slowly and will never get to 'lawn' proportions. I am adding CO2 this weekend so hopefully I will see some results.

Use ADA ferts

superior lighting - 3watts per gallon

Co2 injection and you should be fine

you also need mesh of some sort to place and tie the riccia on but im sure you already know that

I have riccia growing in my 4ft. I have a single powerGLO tube and I add seachem flourish weekly. Recently I added Peat granules to the cannister and the riccia has tripled it's size in 2 weeks.

I have now started to tie to rocks as the stuff flaoting on top was starting to block out the light to the plants dry.gif

Here's hoping it will grow down the bottom of the tank with much more light dntknw.gif

Will be adding CO2 in the next week.

Here is the problems/questions I have.

I have a tank 72 x 14 x 20. I want to grow Riccia or some other grass type plant which will grow all over the substrate and driftwood I put in the tank. My tank has a 4ft 40w aqua glow light and a 6ft light which is 2 x 3 ft 30w power glo lights. The current substrate is coral sand, I do not have a C02 system and don't want one.

Do I really need a C02 system?

Do I need to change the substrate?

What plant do you best suggest?

I was thinking of putting a couple of Discus in the tank.

I am trying to save as much money as possible.

I have attached a link to what I am hoping to achieve.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/TAL...amanobig_10.jpg

If you want to save money, dont want CO2 and only have your light. (which I would personally double immediately even for low light plants). I would recommend the following:

a) Chain swords (REAL ones, they have narrow dark green leaves and are NOT readily available)

b) Hair Grass (mix it with the chain swords)

The only thing you need to do is upgrade your lighting by at least 1 set of lights and also change your subtrate... Chainswords and Hairgrass love a rich substrate (I didnt say expensive.. just rich.. you can go about it how you like, I used Jobes Fern fertiliser for land plants which cost like $5 for a pack of 20 or something)

This is what Amano uses alot in his lower light tanks/no co2 tanks and it looks fantastic (have a flip through Aqua World 1)

I would definitely not recommend glosso or riccia for your setup.. in low light they will grow ugly and be a pain to maintain. (i dont even recommend them for high light but thats a different matter)

For your driftwood cover it in bolbitus or java moss (christmas moss if you can find any in Oz)

Archived