my planted display tank today

mianos

Because of the light and dark areas it's hard to get a good exposure across the whole tank without photoshopping. These are pretty much straight out of the camera:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Nice, I like the Anubiasit has great height, is it A. nana?. Does it have a bit of wood to grow on or has it just headed for the lights by itself?

-Mat-

no it's not A. nana, it's some species with a really different shaped leaf. It's on a bit of wood. I cut the rhizomes in half last year so it would fill out a bit. There is lots of A. nana in the lower levels. It was originally on wood but it's grown off the wood and across the substrate now. What's really surprised me is the size of the cypts. I initially planted them as a foreground plant but they have grown out and up. (I got them of kribbie a few years ago).

The fish are just as often under the lights as in the dark. It's just the clowns live behind that bit of wood and feed in the middle. Those lights are only 70W each. They just look very bright because of the very wide range of light in the tank. If I expose for the darker areas then the bright bits are completely flared, if I expose for the bright bit the dark area is just about black.

Great tank. Do you find the Geo digging much?

He digs at the gravel quite a bit. The interesting thign I find is they don't seem to uproot plants even though they digg.

Looks like a pretty low maintainance as far as planted tanks go too.

In the past I too found crypts got a lot larger than expected. I think they are a plant that will be greatly different depending on what conditions they can exploit.

Looks good.

Craig

That tank has been up for about 2.5 years.

Only two discus now, one died last year sad.gif

I should get more but it's a bit overstocked.

Maybe in my new tank.

Hey Mianos,

what kind of water parameters are you running in the tank? The only reason I ask is the Discus, I'm assuming the water ph is neutralish to cover all fish? I'd really like you to ay it is cause I want to try a discus tank but am getting cold feet when I hear all the "too hard" stories.

Cheers

glenn

Water parameters? What's that? smile.gif

My routine is:

- Sat Morning fill my wheely bin that has a heater

- add some cheap as I can buy declorinator (ACN or whatever it is from Ben @ AOA)

- turn on the pump that feeds the hose with the hose in the bin to circulate the water

- Sunday afternoon siphon out about 20% into the plants on the veranda

- run the hose from the wheely bin to the tank

- pump water in

- add 40ml of trace fertilizer

Do the same every week never missing a week except for holidays.

Archived