Tang questions

Bruce

I got a couple of questions regarding tangs.

1. Will Foai be ok to travel for a couple of hours at 2.5cm?

2. Would foai and xenotilapia be unsuitable together because of competition for the sand?

3. Would foai eat multis?

4. Are leptosomas, foai or xenotilapia more sensitive to water quality than multies?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

1. Will Foai be ok to travel for a couple of hours at 2.5cm?

Yes bagged with O2, or personally i would bucket with a battery air pump, and an established sponge filter, but not really neccesary unless the bucket has a lot in there >10

2. Would foai and xenotilapia be unsuitable together because of competition for the sand?

They get along fine , you will need enough sand to go around, and a bigget tank is usually better, i had my foi in a 6x2x2 with some Xeno flavipinnis and it was ok with both species breeding, xenos can be pretty cranky if they wanna be.

3. Would foai eat multis?

tough question, my foi dont bother my adult occy much, but he is a nasty bit of work and tries to touch up the foi when they are having sand issues.

( the occy likes to bury his shell in the bank of the foi nest, the foi just burries his shell, and when the foi gets in the mood then can get a little protective of the nest.)

My foi eat there own fry, so tiny multies would be on teh menu i guess but they wont go hunting for them so to speak, they are kinda gentle giants and far from very predatory.

4. Are leptosomas, foai or xenotilapia more sensitive to water quality than multies?

They are all tangs, and as such like good water quality, Xenotilapia and sand sifters in general i have noticed get bent backs if there water is too low in Calcium, some xenos likek Enantiopius are very very sensitive to amonia and wont hesitate to roll over on you, but just looking tat them the wrong way can acheive similar diasterous results, lol cryblow.gif I have found xeno spilopterous and flavipinnis to be just as hardy as other tangs, but mostly they get injured because they are more timid especially when younger, and love to dart full speed into the sides/lids of the tank, if spooked, or a sudden lights on or off/shadows etc

leptos do get a bit disturbed by the very fast swimming and in your face foi, i noticed a marked increase in breeding once they were removed from the tank.

Overall foi just need heaps of room to cruize about in, andthey cruize pretty fast at times

This is an old crappy pic but i did have a very similar combo once.

user posted image

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it. The tank is 30" high so the Leptos and the Foai should have enough room between each other. How many foai should I use per bag?

Bruce

Bruce as i said earlier, a bucket is the best option gives them more room to swim abouts, last weekend i transported 17 adult >10-15cm melanogenies from brisbane to rockhampton (~7hours) in 2 buckets with just airstones, they are all still alive and showing off nicely. Buckets give you a greater volume of water, so takes much longer to get a bit off.

But bags i would go 2/litre....so work that out depending on the size bags you have, if its just a short trip <3hours no O2 would be needed, but fill the bags 3/4 with .

air

Archived