Advice please on T duboisi

shaneo

Hi all finally my duboisi have got a mouthful im pretty excited i was wondering what people recomend should i tumble the eggs or put her in a fry saver or let her just spit in the tank? the only other fish in the tank are a few clown loaches and plecos. Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks shane thumbup.gif

Hi Shane,

Congratulations!

To strip or not to strip...that is the question that every fish breeder struggles with.

I personally do strip because i found i only get 1 or 2 fry survive in my tank that is filled with adult tropheus and a couple of catfish.

Eventhough tropheus are vegetarian they do kill and possibly eat the fry. Saying that a lot of people have success in letting them spit naturally, but u will need to have a heavily rocked tank with plenty of hiding places. If the mother is good she will hold the fry until they are well and truly ready to swim away. Only problem is when they do first get released they will try to run into any fishes mouths!

If u release them in a fry tank there is the problem of aggression when u return the mother to the colony.

If u do decide to strip make sure u strip them after 3 weeks of holding so that fry are fully formed and will have a higher survival rate.

Finally, it is not unsual for the first mouthful to be spit or eated by the inexperienced mother so don't be upset if that happens. It takes some practice before they get it right.

hth

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for the reply i most probly will strip her. Even if she does spit i wont be to upset im happy that they are starting to come of age ive had them since they were about 2cm maybe a touch bigger.

Thanks shane

hi shane

i use large ice cream tubs as fry savers.

this allows 'mum' to remain in contact with the colony. i put her in at around 26 days and leave her with the fry for a week, she goes back in tank and the fry go into a small tank with a sponge filter

this method gives me a good survival rate and the female's 'welcome back party' is not as rough

just 'my' way, but other ways work just as well for other ppl

hth; C

If this is the first time the female has held I wouldn't strip her. It takes them a few times of holding to get it right (as Dave said), it makes me think that if you strip her on her first go it may take her longer to get it right.

You could try Col's method, no harm done then.

Jamie.

Thank you guys for the replies you have all given me alot to think about. Now ive got my fingers crossed that she holds the distance either way im happy.

Cheers shane thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all to those who may be wondering my duboisi spat early but since then ive had another start to hold wich held only for a day and spat. But im pretty happy that they are starting to hold im sure its only a matter of time and ill have some little fry thumbup.gif

Cheers shane

Hi Dave i did for awhile when they were fryi had them in a 6x2x2 until they started to get some size about them. Now they have a cube i think its just a little bit under 2ft they love it they have recently laid for the first time but the eggs turned to fungus.

Cheers shane

Archived