How's this for stupidity

Bijengum

I approached the garden section staff at my local Bunning's store about broken bits of terracotta. They told me they throw it out and I was welcome to as much as I wanted. They agreed to keep it for me. I rang today to see if there was any, to be told that they could not let me take it, because if I cut myself on it I could sue them. What is society coming to. So much for their "green" credentials. Here is a good use for waste and they would rather send it to landfill.

Well, I heard that kind of policy before, not just for bunning but for major companies, such as Coles supermarket as well. They prefer to through out the "can be used stuff" as a waste rather than being sued one day. So, I think just accept it Bijengum wink.gif .

--

Fishly

I know exactly what you mean!!! A few months back my uncle contacted a few of the large supermarkets with bakerys to enquire about buying some of their stale bread for his horses.

They refused to help him and said that incase it came in contact with humans they couldn't risk it.

He thought he could do them a favour by reducing their waste but not so.

I think there are so many people ready to cash in on any company that makes the slightest mistake that these companies are having to take drastic measures to protect themselves!!!

Though if you are after some broken pots, I have heard via a grapevine thatbonds nursey and flowerpower will sell it to you in bags for a pretty decent price!!!

lol last year when i needed to get braces cause 2 of my theeth got knock out but a hockey stick the guy who hit me with the stick moved to a different town dry.gif and when i got in contact with me he said he was moving cause he thaught i was going to sue him lol people are getting very paranoid about this stuff and to be honest it wee wEEes me off which all these lowlifes sueing people for minor things lol scary to think this is just the beginning blink.gifsad.gif

Yep, I had people trying to convince me to try for some kind of compensation for a sporting injury last year. I truely couldn't believe it, I play the sport for love of it, and for my own health and fitness. I know the possibility of injury is there, and choose to take that risk myself. Why should somebody else be held accountable?

I think companies will only get more paranoid. It's largely due to the ridiculous litigation in the US. I think I saw on TV some time ago an obese guy was suing McDonlads because he got so fat as a result of eating copius amounts of their food... What a joke!

Cheers

Richard

Even for Baseball now a days.. You aren't allowed to play in any competition in NSW unless you sign a liability form which wavers all your rights if you get injured... Like baseball.. you play the sport, you're bound to get injured sooner or later! But i can't understand why people would sue...

I don't intend to let it be. I will take the matter to Bunning's state and national management for a start - followed by complaints to Wesfarmers and its shareholders. Its people letting things like this go that perpetuates the problem. If people are sick of it they need to do what they can do. By showing how stupid the action is I believe I can get some action.

David, the sad thing is everybody knows how ludicrous this type of thing is. But the fact is, after 1000 people buy broken pots to use as fill or whatever, one guy buys it and cuts his arm through the bag and sue's for alot more than the 1000 bags of broken pots are worth to Bunnings. I have friends who work dealing with this kind of thing for very large companies including a VERY large retail company. It is in the companies best interests to just annoy the 1000 people rather than get sued by the 1.

As for the sports wavers; they hold no water in actuality in most cases. They are basically there to stop people trying for more than standard sporting insurance covers them for.

I work for Bunnings, and ive copped people coming in and whinging and whining about this stuff before. What people dont seem to understand is that we just work there and have to follow Bunnings rules etc. Dont get me wrong, i disagree with most of Wesfarmers policies tongue.gif it just drives my nuts when people come in and complain about stuff like this.

I doubt Bunnings will budge on a matter like this, its just too easy for one a*sehole to decide to sue and cause problems. Its gone so far now that if 1 rubber foot is missing from a ladder, we have to run the ladder over with a forklift mad.gif

You cant blame the big companies really, we should be blaming the people in power that allow pathetic lawsuits like these to go forward, and even be successful.

Try another Bunnings, half the workers dont even know about rules like this, with any luck the next store will be completely ignorant and sell you the pots anyway wink.gif Ive got them keeping any busted roman pots for me without any problems.

Cheers

Jordan

You will all be pleased to know that last year amendments were made to the NSW Civil Liability Act which basically mean you can't sue for any injury sustained while voluntarily engaged in a "hazardous activity", eg a sporting event. Also, now sports liability waivers DO hold up in court - the Act specifically provides for that.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...002161/s5l.html

There is also a threshold before you can sue for personal injuries - a person's injury must be 15% of "a most severe case" or they are not even permitted to commence proceedings. So a person who cuts their arm on some broken terracotta isn't likely to be able to sue (unless they get some incurable infection or something...).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...002161/s16.html

You also can't sue if you are injured for not observing an obvious risk - eg if you stumble negotiating a kerb or a crack in the pavement, tough bananas.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/con...002161/s5h.html

Also, there are new restrictions on ambulance-chasing-type lawyer ads on the radio and in the press, which might stop people even thinking to sue for falling over on their bums cos they are clumsy, then blaming a shop because there was a perfectly obvious orange puddle on the floor!

Don't ask how I know this wink.gif I just thought you all might be pleased to know that the tide is turning and idiots and bludgers will have a few more hurdles to jump over before they can stuff things up for the rest of us.

L

Urodacus, you work for this mob, what stops you or another employee putting the broken pots in a hessian sack and after work one day they get left in a spot in the carpark. Then someone might drive by and pick them up. I'm sure Bunnings aren't gunna have a clue as i doubt they really care, if it's not in a bunning's bag and not on bunning's land, there isn't a legit way you could blame bunnings if you are the kind of lowlife that sues for a scratch on the arm.

Don't let corporations (especially the Big Ones) push us around. If they are wasting something, it's straight forward waste. I'm glad Bijengum isn't gunna let it rest. Just because the world is a stupid place doesn't mean we have to act stupid.

You can see how certain countries governments;eg; NZ have baned people from sueing full stop.

they have an ACC type compo which pays on % of disability.(Gov scheme) Its a shame for those who do suffer serious complaints;eg;become vegetables, as they get pittance.

Oh the joys of it all. dry.gif

Frenchy

Id do it for mates or myself, but i wouldnt bother if it was someone whod just walked in off the street. I know it sounds harsh, but my job is worth more to me than that.

If no ones the wiser though and the subject hadnt already been addressed, ive got no problem writing an NCV (No Cost Value) docket and walking them and the pots out of the store. Most of the people who work at Bunnings (atleast my Bunnings) are good enough people and will do what they can. Its just not worth it to us to go against rules that management are aware of for the sake of someones fish tank.

Like i said, try another store, or even try another staff member, with any luck they wont even know about the rule.

I went further up the food chain at my local Bunnings. Evidently there is no such company rule. It would appear that some employees are acting on their own "initiative". He had no problem with keeping the broken terra cotta for me. It helped that he also used to breed africans. It also goes to show that you should never take "no" for an answer.

Archived