Neetroplus nematopus

thermofish

How do you sex these little guys other than venting them using the hubble telescope and how do you go about breeding them.

Also, what other little americans are out there that are about this size other than convicts?

cheers.

oh yeh nearly forgot...has anyone got any for sale ?

suppose i should put that up in the classies tho.

cheers again.

Hi Thermofish

The males grow to twice the size as the females.

I beleive that if you have a group they will pair themselves off.

Be careful because once a pair are established they will attack the other fish in the tank and probably kill them.

They are truely a tough little fish and once they reverse their colours, (spawning mode ) they are extremely nasty and will fight any other fish in their territory.

Other American cichlids this size or there abouts that come to mind are Bolivian butterflies, Kribensis, Rams, Jewels and I guess that given time I could think of a few more.

I used to breed these guys but I gave the breeding pair to another person on this forum.

I beleive that Anita is still breeding them.

Good luck

What kind of territorial range do they have ?

It just that ive got standard 4 footer and a 4x2x2 and im revamping the two of them.

Im thinking of putting my Big cuban in the standard 4 and setting up a community of smaller americans like neets and rams in the 4x2x2.

what do you think?

cheers.

There is no way I would put rams in the same tank.

They will be destined to die.

Whilst they are young and have no breeding intentions they might be alright with fish of their own size but I wouldn't do it.

I would put them in with bigger fish from the start.

If you get a breeding pair then I suggest that you put them in with the Cuban.

They will kill everything else.

They will probably also have your Cuban quivering in the corner once their colours reverse and the true nature of this fish in spawning mode comes out.

Well maybe they will good to keep my Cuban in line. He's a killing machine so if you think they have what it takes i might have a look at getting some.

Also, what other little americans are out there that are about this size other than convicts?

cheers.

Hi Thermofish & Citypainter,

Just a minor point, Kribensis & Jewels are not Americans. biggrin.gif

But there are a couple of convict relatives from Central America that should be available in various LFS, three come to mind sajica, septemfasciatus and spilurus, there is a fourth that goes with the same group but if you could find them you would be doing well and that is spinosissimus.

All are similar in shape to the convict but their attitude isn't quite as bad.

Another group could be Laetacara three species are possible curviceps, dorsigera and maybe buckelkopf.

Anyway that is few to have a look at.

Good luck.

John.

PS Sorry I forgot to say that I would not put neets with any of the smaller Americans, I believe that would be a big mistake, one that you would soon regret.

I'd recommend you keep Neets in either a species tank or a tank with fishes very much bigger than them.

They are great fish and easy to sex as they grow as others have described. Here's two pics of my pair!!

Normal colour:

user posted image

Breeding colours:

user posted image

Stunning fish - highly recommended! I have spawned these guys quite a few times now... they are excellent! The colours are not bright - but they have the most dramatic colour change of all cichlids when breeding and it is something I think ever fish keeper should see in the flesh!

These are the Tropheus of central america!!

Archived