bristlenose diet

Limno

Hi

Is there any recommended diets for growing out BN fry and for general feeding of adults.

At this stage I feed mainly on vegies (cucumber, zuchinni and a little pumpkin) but should I be supplementing the diet with other stuff. Any advice would be appreciated

cheers

sean

Hi,

Fresh veges are great but supplement with some good quality spirulina wafers and some animal protein for strength and faster growth.

It is important and preferable that fry remain with the male and/or other tank mates as they need to build up their gut bacteria to enable them to digest effectively and this can only be done in said tank.

Have learnt this through heartbreaking trial and error years ago sad.gif , and do not suffer any preventable losses anymore smile.gif.

Cheers

Hi,

Any animal protein pellet or flake will do.

Bristlies have been know to devour fry that are not yet totally free swimming as well so take care.

Cheers

I haven't had to buy any special food for my bristlenoses. AFter losing my last 2 BN's to my hungry electric yellows when I went away for a while, I have had trouble keeping the algae out of my tank. This time the walls got that bad you could not see through them. BUT, I have just introduced 3 new bristlenoses and within 3 days the walls of my tank are almost spotless. They have been well fed just on the natural vegetation in my tank.... laugh.gif And of course I am sure they find plenty of pelleted left overs on the tank floor that the others have left.

Kathy

Hi guys,

We all know how much we rely on our cats to keep our tanks clean smile.gif and they do a great job keeping the algae down and cleaning up after our messy and fussy cichlids.

They can however be underfed sad.gif , and at times starved if we do not provide food for them specifically. So make sure that some wafers or pellets or fresh veg are put into your tanks for them. This should be done at lights out for the nocturnal pussycats. smile.gif

Cheers

Hi Sean

Good to see you around

Your feeding program is pretty good use the vegies as a staple so the fish can graze on them when they feel like

Add to this a varied suppliment of pellets, wafers, flakes and if you feel adventerous blend a homemade frozen mix with peas as a base and add some prawn etc ........ check the FAQ pages on the homepage

Pellets - any size will do as they will scrape the pellets to feed

I find that some like Wadleys cichlid pellets breakdown too quick

The good old Orca pellets from the Cichlid society are good value I find

Wafers - any of the spirolina or algae wafers are fine

Flake - try the mixed flake that contains basic, spirolina, shrimp etc

As Alan has mentioned before, he has used cat chow that is soaked to soften before feeding ..... must work by the number of B/N he pumps out laugh.gif

cool.gif L2H

blush.gif I'm humbled Chris,

I know what any new commer or novice breeder goes through with thier first lot of fry. I did the same thing myself. Except 30 odd years ago there were no books, no details, no information (was the days of 'trade secrets' & no one told any one anything), and no internet and forums.

There are a heap of old fossils like me out there who have a mass of fish keeping and breeding experience, but are scared wittless of computers and the WWW. Is just my science background, like Bill Phillips in Melbourne, that has forced me to "stay with" technology.

Hey ! it's the greatest thing since tinned beer and cask wine ! Instant exchange of ideas. We may not be scientificly correct all the time ( names and all that), but we are getting fish to reproduce ! Isn't that what this hobby is all about.?

For me there is always the challange of a new species, not new to the hobby, just one I have never bred before, and bristle nose earn me a bit towards persueing those goals.

Alan

Archived