Scared fish and new filters

Ute God

Ok well I ended up moving my fish into the living room so that they can get use to people walking past them. But I also bought a new bubble disk. I was running a round foam airfilter thing Supposed to be pretty good. It apparently houses good bacteria etc etc...But when I went to hook the airpump up to run both it doesnt pump enough air to run both. So at the moment I need to know which would be best for my tank until i goto get a new air pump.

So my questions are

-Was it a good idea to move the fish into a area that gets more movment and take away some cave hole things.

-What air supply should i be running. The bubble disk or the foam air thingy. Ill try describe it. Round foam with a weighted base. has a clear tube (not airsupply) running off the top for about 10cm. The foam it self has indents cut on the outside of the foam...kinda hard to explain and cant remember what its called as i through out the box

Was it a good idea to move the fish into a area that gets more movment and take away some cave hole things.

I am not sure with locating the tank to the place where many people pass by. But the one for sure don't reduce the caves, as it could increase the stress level of the fishes. I think you better add more caves.

Put the tank where you want it (as a permanent home), and if they are Mbuna in the tank, put lots of place for them to hide. You don't mention what fish they are or how many, very relevant for the answer to your question.

I have no idea what a "bubble disk" is blink.gif I assume it is just some sort of brand name?

What you describe at bottom just sounds like a sponge filter. Not sure what both the filters are but I would imagine they are both sponge filters. Sponge filters are good, but they are not the best at mechanical filtration. You’d be better off with a filter that can mechanically remove more than a sponge filter (which can remove lesser amounts of small solids, but is best as a biological filtration area).

In short, put the tank where you want it, and get a more suitable filter, even if it is only a box filter, which will remove more solids than a sponge filter can.

Craig

Best leave the sponge filter in untill you get a new air pump. I would have thaught the sponge filter would provide sufficient airation, but if your not happy with it, use both like youve been planning cool.gif.

Anthony cool.gif

2-Pullu Points

2-Cobolt Blues

2-Hongi

2-Blue Orchids

1-Clown Loach

A bubble disk is like a flat airstone.

I have two power head filters running one big one (HX-1500A) one small one

2ft Tank. I have put a bit of drift wood in there that has a sufficiant hiding hole and a small resin rock that is hollow. I did have a set of resin rocks in before but this allowed for to many caves and places to hide and filled the tank to much.

More hiding spots!!!

I have my tank in the most high traffic spot in the house. Right near the hall way in the living room.

My fish all love it when people walk past as they think they are going to get fed.

Their stress levels will increase if there is less hiding places for them. I know I would rather have each fish in my tank have a home.

Steve

IMO, Id say to have a hiding hole for every pair of fish, and then one for the loach and then at least 3 extra, from what i have read/ know you have the pairs hole and then a safe haven for 1 fish outta the pair just incase the other gets too ratty and trys to belt the other one up!

Archived