Aquarium safe black silicon

Brayden's dad

Mate,

I just got mine from Bunnings. They have a whole heap of different kinds there (at least they did when I had to get some). I can't remember exactly which type it was, I did some research on the web to find out what it could / couldn't have in it.

Just checked the garage on the off chance I still had some left to see the brand and type, but no. I guess after 4 years the tube had to get thrown out sometime. smile.gif

Regards,

p.

Mate,

I just got mine from Bunnings. They have a whole heap of different kinds there (at least they did when I had to get some). I can't remember exactly which type it was, I did some research on the web to find out what it could / couldn't have in it.

Just checked the garage on the off chance I still had some left to see the brand and type, but no. I guess after 4 years the tube had to get thrown out sometime.  smile.gif

Regards,

p.

Yeah, I tried Bunnings &, yes, they did have a heap of different types but none that were suitable for an aquarium, ie, there are aquarium safe silicons there but no black.

Thanks for your effort.

Anybody else?

Troy.

I got mine from lfs. It's GE contractors glazing silicone. Product code SCS1003.

It doesn't say it's specifically for aquariums, but I trust the shop and haven't had any problems with it. This is the stuff they use to build tanks. As long as it's acetic cure it should be fish safe.HTH

I use Selleys Roof & Gutter Silcone (Black) from Bunnings, have used it for building caves, sealing filters and tank repairs. I know 2 other people that have used it for over 5 years with no problems or issues.

Regards

Yeah, I saw that stuff there. When the instuctions say "unsuitable for below water line use", I'm not sure what they are exactly referring to. I assume it refers to applications where a totally water proof seal is needed.

Troy.

I use Selleys Roof & Gutter Silcone (Black) from Bunnings, have used it for building caves, sealing filters and tank repairs. I know 2 other people that have used it for over 5 years with no problems or issues.

Regards

Oh thank God - I used some of that a few weeks ago and have been panicking I was going to poison my fish! Was thinking draining my tank and ripping it out.

blush.gif

Another product that is safe to use in your tank is V2.

It comes in clear and also black!

This is an acetic cure silicone that is extremely strong and is very good for sealing and fixing fish tanks as well. smile.gif

You local glazier should have it or be able to get it for you. If not I can bring you a tube to the next NSWCS meeting if you like.

cya Matthew

Neutral cure silicones are safe to use, BUT

You will need to let the tank dry for more than 3 weeks depending on the thickness of the silicone, it drys slower, AND

as neutral cure silicone drys it releases methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) instead of acetic acid (strong vineger) MEK is toxic so the tank will also need to dry outside after a few days add a bowl of water, put lids on, neutral cure silicone loves a humid environment to cure properly...

Also most of the "not suitable for underwater applications" statement i beleive is just to cover their behind if the silicone is used for fish tanks.. the most popular tank builing silicone Dow corning 999-A also has this statement....

I actaully called dow corning once ,they said no silicone should be used for the construction of aquariums, instead they said an epoxy type glue should be used and silicone just for the inner seal.. dntknw.gif

ED: Also avoid any silicones that are designed to be used in the bathroom ,kitchen etc as they have mold destroying chemicals in them that are not nice to fish

Archived