Introducing myself

ebe

Hi everyone. I am new around here.

I know I love to see other peoples' tanks, and I hope you all do too as this is a link to my 4' planted tank:

http://au.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/asil_sirron/my_photos

(Lily is my username on another forum).

The plants in the tank when I took the photos included crypts, green hygro, red hygro, red ludwigia, anubias nana, milfoil, cabomba, a couple of small swords, and java moss. I have now added some green tiger lotus and hope to eventually replace a lot of the stem plants with plants like madagascar lace plant and more interesting varieties of crypt and aponogetons, as they become available and as I come across them.

Nice to meet you all.

lisa

In your Crypts page, is DCP_0072 a Mi Oya or a Brown? Nicely planted tanks.

Kewl, am not invisible after all! smile.gif Nice to meet you all too.

PHL, to tell you the truth I don't know. The crypts were bought as 1 plant from Auburn Aquarium as "mixed crypts" then I separated it into about 7 separate plants, all of which are a bit different. It's my favourite, though, whatever it is. It really adds some interest to the tank.

See you all around,

L

PHL, to tell you the truth I don't know. The crypts were bought as 1 plant from Auburn Aquarium as "mixed crypts" then I separated it into about 7 separate plants, all of which are a bit different. It's my favourite, though, whatever it is. It really adds some interest to the tank.

The Mi Oya looks like this, whereas Brown looks like this.

Also take a look at my post on my tanks; the crypts in the front of the 280L are all Mi Oya.

That's a big ask to identify different strains of Crypts. It is hard enough to ID the various species and almost impossible with-out a flower. I have taken the same plant and grown it in different tanks and it has taken on a quite different form ( growth habit, size, coloration). biggrin.gif

So don't feel bad ebe, I doubt any of us are really sure what species of crypts we are growing. rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Brett

Thanks for that plant info PHL, I imagine having read the description (hammered - a bit like me on some Friday evenings!!) that what I am growing is a Mi Oya. But as Brett said, who really knows!

Hi Other Ed, and thanks. IME the best aquarium for plants is Auburn. I am now tinkering with the idea of ordering on-line, though. I have never bought anything online (except a camera from e-bay) so this is a big step for me!

Cheers

L

PS PHL, NICE tanks.

Thanks for that plant info PHL, I imagine having read the description (hammered - a bit like me on some Friday evenings!!) that what I am growing is a Mi Oya.  But as Brett said, who really knows!

Mi Oya is distinctive in that the leaves are reddish brown on the bottom, with greenish/olive brown on top, with a red stem. Haven't seen a Brown as yet.

Hi Other Ed, and thanks.  IME the best aquarium for plants is Auburn.  I am now tinkering with the idea of ordering on-line, though.  I have never bought anything online (except a camera from e-bay) so this is a big step for me!

Manly Aquarium is also good if you get Frank, as he seem to know his plants. Aquaria Australia Warehouse is quite good for on-line ordering; I've bought a bit from Bert, but just be aware that sometimes the plants may not be correct.

PS PHL, NICE tanks.

Thanks.

Archived