Photos of my planted tank!

fozziwozzi

Well I hope you all enjoy the photos of my planted tanks.

Sorry about the size of the photos, it maytake a while to view if you dont have cable. I'm not that good with webpages, this is my first attempt at it.

Please let me know what you think. smile.gif

Fozziwozzi's Planted Tank

Follow the links and click on GALLERY to view some more of my tanks as well.

Regards

Warren.

biggrin.gif

nice tank warren

is that marine poster in the background (in ur front of ur home page?)

Also b3dlam u konw the aquascape contest? is there any condition ?

e.g. tank size medium large or small .....

bcoz if all tank is consider the same then those people have big tank is much harder to aquascape then compare to those have like small or medium. (im not saying my tank is big but just a thougth i see on www.aquabotanic.com)

Cheers looking forward to enter that comp.

sorry for the threadjack fozzi..

IntoTheRainz: There wont be a limit to the size of the tank. But I certainly understand what you mean about larger tanks being harder to aquascape. This is one of the shortcomings i see on the planted tank comps. The tank size will be taken account when the a mark is given.

Hope to see your entry! smile.gif

Fozzi: you should enter too!! Lots of great prizes!!

biggrin.gif

IntoTheRainz: There wont be a limit to the size of the tank. But I certainly understand what you mean about larger tanks being harder to aquascape. This is one of the shortcomings i see on the planted tank comps. The tank size will be taken account when the a mark is given.

Actually I find smaller (and narrower) tanks harder to aquascape whithout looking bitsy. You just need more plants...

PHL im totally disagree with u on that its depend how well u know the design for aquascape e.g generally small tank use plant with small leaves and make depths which create ur eye focus around more ( which give illusion looks big tank). And wot i mean its harder to aquascape for big tank is they require alots more maintanent compare to small tank.

small tank can give a very simple design but its very eye catchy, u can check out Amano(spell?) display tank he had alot of small tank with very simple ideas and very attract attention.

check out some AGA contest . it might help ur aquascape

(i dont have link on this comp atm sorry but u can try google)

PHL im totally disagree with u on that its depend how well u know the design for aquascape e.g generally small tank use plant with small leaves and make depths which create ur eye focus around more ( which give illusion looks big tank). And wot i mean its harder to aquascape for big tank is they require alots more maintanent compare to small tank.

small tank can give a very simple design but its very eye catchy, u can check out Amano(spell?) display tank he had alot of small tank with very simple ideas and very attract attention.

check out some AGA contest . it might help ur aquascape

(i dont have link on this comp atm sorry but u can try google)

I've gone through AGA contests in the past, and have several of Amano's books, but it is no coincidence that the larger ones usually do better (and yes, I know AGA has several different divisions). Just that personally I find small tanks fiddlier to landscape (slight oppsies upset a lot more), and harder to hide the plumbing etc (filter intake and outlet, CO2 reactor, heater etc), and due to size that most easily available plants get, a lot of pruning is required to stay looking good.

Actually on that score, can you recommend a small leaved ground cover, other than Glosso, that is locally available? Amano has access to quite a lot of plants not locally available. I have a small 40L characin I'll be redoing shortly.

• 1 month later...

i agree with PHL on the small tank front, but I reckon its easiest to grow a small tank into 'bloom' alot quicker (i.e for taking photos)

If you see Amano, when he does a photo he takes all the equipment out of the tank so it looks like his tanks are totally natural... not everyone can do that, I reckon the best size is a 3 ft tank in terms of it's width and height, only problem is the size of the lights arent normal (i.e mostly 2ft lights and 4ft lights are standard)

I've always ahd problems growing E. stellata too....gets to a point then rots out on the stem and detaches from the main "trunk" sadsmiley02.gif . Also the lower leaves always drop after a short period...maybe because it is hydroponically grown?

merjo

merjo - yes you can get emmersed grown stellata that will die off and come back again

I found growing stellata (with reddish stems etc) required really high light, good root AND water column fertilsation (dosing phosphates blink.gif and nitrates! blink.gif )

you can get good immersed grown stuff too though, alot of it floating around sydney.. very nice too - red stems and pink leaves..

anyone seen Ammania gracilis around?

When you say stellata I am assuming that you are referring to the Red Tiger Lotus?

From the one plant I began with, I now have x1 decent sized off shoot and about x5 baby offshoots coming up!

Anyway I am using 3 x 4ft 18w NEC tubes.

At the moment I am using a CO2 cannister system made by Nutrafin. It requries you to mix some sugar with water and 2 packets of their special mix ( i think it is yeast and another type of stabilizer).

I have found that it is very effective and has really helped my overall plant growth.

The mix last for a month easily, compared to two weeks when I use to make up my own mix. It has been a lot less hassle.

Cheers

Warren!

Hi Warren,

I was referring to Eusteralis stellata, the plant on the left hand side of the tank (towards the back). At least that's what it looks like to me......before it turns a lovely pinkish colour.

Thanks for the info Nornicle....I'd say that lack of nutrient may have been the problem. Do you know if Rotala wallichii requires the same conditions? I have a similar problem keeping it lush looking; it goes spindly and drops the lower leaves quite quickly.

merjo

spindly and dropping bottom leaves is a sign of not enough light, keeping rotala wallichi lush is pretty easy if you have co2 and very high light.. they feed alot from the water column, I had to dose extra iron to get mine a deep red as well as usual dosing - they do like phosphates too, i kept too few fish so had to dose phosphates...

If its dropping leaves and is still red then you might have to see about your trace elements you're dosing.. hope this helps

oh btw when i get E. stellata i bought emmersed grown like you probably did too Merjo, I had to continually re plant it until it 'took root' and began putting out new leaves.. took maybe 2 to 3 weeks before it formed proper roots.. easy way out is to track down some immersed grown tongue.gif

Rotala wallichii I haven't found too hard to grow (unless it gets shaded), but my E. stellata grows huge stems (about 1cm or more), plenty of roots, but stays green! Very frustrating!

Archived