Question

skipbl92

Currently in my tank I have a lot of Rusty's, E.Yellow/albino cross breed, 2 blue kenyi, 2 saulosi, giant danio & a large pleco. I used to have a total of 9 saulosi's, 1 E.Yellow, 3 blue kenyi, the other 2 haven't changed.

It seems the Rusty's and the cross breeds are very hardy fish. They have eaten the majority of my saulosi's. Out of the 7 missing ones I only found 2 maybe 3 bodies. I have no idea why or how the 1 blue kenyi died. In regards to the E.Yellow, I cleaned the tank today and I may have sentenced it to death. After I set the tank back up I noticed the E.Yellow was very sluggish, I left for 3 hours and when I came back the E.Yellow was dead.

So my question is are the Rusty's and the cross breeds hardy fish?

Guest justasqrrl73

HHHHHmmmmm, The rust's may be a bit aggressive and that may be why your losing fish. How big is the tank and how many rust's do you have? Whats the PH and GH of the tank? have you checked for ammonia?

But to answer the simple question, Yes rust's are very hardy, I have 3 and have yet (knock on wood) to have one die.

What do you have for the fish to hide in? Might add more hiding spaces.

Sincerely,Rick

The strain of rusty's I was breeding were psychotic. I had Auratus in there to keep them in line and the rustys rarely started anything. But if any fish took a good beating the largest male rusty would usually come out and try and finish them off. Nasty little bite on them. Surprised me, considering everyone kept telling me how peaceful they were.

I heard something recently about 'first generation vigour' where the first offspring of a hybrid cross are usually more aggressive and colourful than any of their own offspring.

I had some forbidden love in my tank that resulted in a batch of Rostratus X red empress fry. I white craned them at about 2cm and they showed some interesting colour and nice black fins. At 6cm I did a large cull and and put 10 in a 3 foot. The other 30 were placed in a 4X2X2 tank with a baby spilo, an electric blue colony, Large venustus and Auratus and a few others.

Some actually survived though which is how I ended up with a few females. Out of the males the largest is about 12cm and very pretty. He is more empress shaped than the others. The other males will bury themselves and are more aggressive.

I know hybrids aren't very popular. But it's nice to have a fish that no one else does. I plan on feeding most to a mates jack and keeping a few males for a display tank. Or for use as dithers.

My tank is a 60 long. I am not sure what the PH & GH levels are. I also am not sure what the ammonia level is.

In regards to cover. I probably need more large cover and a little more small cover. The rusty's seem to mate like rabbits. I started with 6 or 7 and now wiith all the babies I probably am around 20. I have 7-8 E.Yellow cross breeds, 2 blue kenyi, 2 saulosi's.

Archived