how to filter a tall tank

Peter_Gun_Riff

PGR -

I would not use an undergravel (can you imagine cleaning the gravel??).

I would recommend any of the small power sponge filters. Stuck to the top of the tank near the lids and an air stone to ensure water movement along the continium.

Also.. if it is a marine tank I suggest you consult the mariners at MASS smile.gif. They would know better than us freshies.

HTH -

I find filters like a aquaclear is great for a hexagonal tank. Put the biggest one that will fit across one flat and add a few extra extensions to the pick up and it will draw the water from right near the bottom.

Just be careful with those tall skinny tanks as they have very little surface area for the volume of water. You will need to put a powerful air pump on it or a powerhead shooting up from the bottom to get the water circulating past the surface more. Otherwise you will find you will have oxygen problems. Especially in a marine tank...

Hope this helps...

Chris thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

In my opinion (which is what this forum and others are all about). I would put marine fish in a larger area.

Unlike Cichlids, they require more space per fish. They do waste alot (dirty) and you may require a larger filter than normal.

Steve

With the small bio load from a pair of clowns and some seahorses

I would use an Ehiem 2213 cannister, available second hand for well under $100

or new with a media pack for just over $120 I think

This will last for years, if you want additional biological filtration look at having

the return run over a modified bio wheel system or into a container with spreader plate onto bio balls or blue bio foam

cool.gif L2H

I think the aquaclear idea is the best as with a cannister your are having to pump to at least a 3.5 ft head which would decrease the flow considerably, this doesnt affect the hang-on filters. Personally I would look at 2x ac300's with extensions running down to 2ft or so, why 2? One to run to run a denitrating resin and another to run a de-phosphator, the live rock should take care of the filtration and the two filters would add a variety of flow directions (like a rock pool)

As for fish, Id stick to the sedentry species, perhap firefish (min of 5) a school of bangai or pyjama cardinals and a scooter blennie to clean up the leftovers. The seahorses will prefer the cooler tank temps so be carefull that he chooses temperate clowns not tropical ones. Good luck, sounds like a great tank biggrin.gif

I think the aquaclear idea is the best as with a cannister your are having to pump to at least a 3.5 ft head which would decrease the flow considerably, this doesnt affect the hang-on filters.

The reason canisters can be so efficient (compared to sumps) is that the head is effectively 0, as you return the water to the same level as you pump it out at (assuming placement of the outlet close to or at the water line). Even more efficient would be to submerge the outlet. The only resistance is the tubing, and moving the water around.

Archived