Tropheus, Frontosa, and P. Salousi

fishly

Can I put Tropheus, and frontosa together with my P.Salousi in Malawi lake water condition, with PH of 8? will the tropheus and frontosa have any problems in growing, and breeding? and would it make the colour of the tropheus and the frontosa not so nice?

Regards,

Fishly

I fear he may not be

ok, fishly, first and foremost you are possibly trying to put some of the most incompatible cichlids from the lakes together. frontosa and tropheus are BOTH best kept in species tanks. Frontosa are primarily piscivores and as such need a very high protein diet with lots of meaty food. Tropheus are virtually herbivores and need a diet low in protein and virtually no meat at all. so in the same tank means one is going to be fed wrong and as such do VERY poorly.

you could possibly keep saulosi in a tank with either. but why put an easy to keep fish like saulosi and use malawi water conditions in with fish like the other two that are certainly much more of a challenge to keep in their own conditions, let alone the wrong ones!? you should either a) get 3 tanks or b) keep one of the listed fish. I cannot possibly see how you could keep all in the same tank.

I think that maybe before you ask questions of the forum you should at least do a little research on the fish in question. had you done that I am sure you would have found a plethora on information out there indicating how inappropriate these fish would be as tank mates. sorry if I sound harsh but I see SO many people just jumping in feet first and killing stuff simple cos they didn't spend a little time researching!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Kinerata, tell you the truth, that I have done some researches about both lakes. The reasons why I asked these questions are because I saw someone who put all these fishes in one tank, and I asked him if he had any problems with it? and he said "No problem at all. And some fishes are breeding well."

So, in order to confirm this statement, I asked you guys who are experts in African Cichlid. Well, I am sorry if I shouldn't ask this STUPID questions here huh.gif .

Regards,

Fishly

Hi Fishly,

You should know that there is no such thing as a stupid question and the forum is a great place to gain information whether you are new to the fish game or not.

The replies you received are very valid and I would also recommend that with all the amazing diversity and sizes of cichlid in the lakes, that I am certain you would find more compatible species to go in your tanks smile.gifsmile.gif .

Tropheus are not a fish for the fainthearted and require some meticulous care. Both the Ps. saulosi and the Tropheus will make delightful snacks as the fronnies get bigger. Think long and hard about this decision.

Cheers

hmmmm dry.gif

i wish i could say the same with my frontys

---just a funny story like to share with you guys/girls ---

Around a year ago, my mates and i decided to feed my frontys with some live guppy ( feeder fish ). Til this day the colony of guppy is growing strong in my 6ft

and i am to lazy to catch them blush.gif super hard shifty little fish.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Sounds like my old oscar. I once put some gambusia mosquitofish in for live food and one actually swam into his mouth (the oscar usually swims around with his mouth half open). It then swam back out, unharmed, and none were eaten for the few weeks I left them in there.

The reasons why I asked these questions are because I saw someone who put all these fishes in one tank, and I asked him if he had any problems with it? and he said "No problem at all. And some fishes are breeding well.

Anything is possible and what works(or doesn't) for one person may not work for another.

If the fish are yours you must decide if you wanna put them all together. However, everything I read and everything I reason says that it will be a risk that IMO, is not worth it...plus, as far as my own personal taste goes, I think they would not look good together.

Lungy's obsession with crotches tongue.gif should be ignored at this time laugh.gif

Haven't been using crutches for a while now Lungy...and it is not nice to poke fun at the crippled and less fortunate than One's self...course in your case, a cripples life may look better. LMAO biggrin.gifrolleyes.gif

Archived