2 Full Moons in 1 month = Tropheus Bloat?

Richard

Hey guys,

I wa just reading an article on tropheus bloat.

The article said there are many things that cause tropheus bloat such as, stress from tank mates, not the right diets then it says 2 fullmoons in one month also causes tropheus bloat

I am wondering if it has happened to anyone before? I know 2 full moons are rare in one month but it must have had happened to someone before. If it did happen did all your tropheus get bloat? Does it also happen (getting bloat when theres 2 full moons in the same month) to other fish or just tropheus?

cheers

Richard

sounds like it is only going to happen on a blue moon eh? laugh.gif

seems somewhat fantastical though. considering the moons movement is constand and our months are just a way of keeping track of things I reckon you may have just heard a bit of an old wives tale smile.gif

Hi,

I read somewhere very recently this interesting statement:

"believe none of what you read, and only half of what you see"

having been studying for most of my adult life rolleyes.gif and having learnt (with alot of frustration) to critique all information that comes my way -no truer words have I come across.

Two full moons or blue ones - only the Tropheus can say biggrin.gif .

Cheers

Tropheus get bloat from a blue moon and Pi is a finite number! Hmm, sounds like someone has fallen for another april fools day joke.

Just imagine Tropheus do exist! Just that fact should tell you enough, I would think. But lets look at it in more detail. A blue moon (two full moons in a month) may be rare, but they are not that rare. So, if Tropheus got bloat (a disease from which they don't usually revoer, if gone untreated, and I don't think anyone treats Lake Tanganyika) every time there is a blue moon, then Tropheus would soon become extinct. And if there was a mutation that would render the Tropheus immune to bloat caused by blue moons, well, then certainly by now (thousands of years after Tropheus evolved) there would be no Tropheus left that have that fatal trait of "blue moon bloat susceptibility". Sorry, but I think you have been had.

As for fish going drazy and spawning during a full moon, that is quite possible. Full moon means more light (if they are exposed to it). Some Tropheus species have been known to be nocturnal or semi-nocturnal, so that shouldn't really surprise.

Archived