Post your Tropheus Pics Here! - d/l warning!

MoliroMan

M Man.. They are very different than RRs or Ilangis..They are nice,but If I could have got RRs I would have went that way..I paid 325 American for 17 adults and 4 @ 2 inches.. They are close to 5 inches.The Dom males have a irridesent plum yellow when displying.. Does that help MM ?? J D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M Man.. They are very different than RRs or Ilangis..They are nice,but If I could have got RRs I would have went that way..I paid 325 American for 17 adults and 4 @ 2 inches.. They are close to 5 inches.The Dom males have a irridesent plum yellow when displying.. Does that help MM ?? J D

More pics please, I had never previously seen (or heard of) them!!! I like the look of them :thumbup:

Cheers

Shane

JD....they are linangu yellows aren't they....i didn't think they look so plum red in colour? $US 325 is way cheap if they are WC...we pay $AU 80 per adult WC over here!!! Why would u go for a RR instead? R they really that great? Which variant of RR would u really want?

JC....if u are getting the FX5 i would not recommend any substrate smaller then 2mm diameter since the Fluval has the habit of sucking up sand and blowing the motor....i am sure Jamie will give us more info. on this.

I have only 3 wild RRs.. I was trying to build a colony,but nothing availble local.. I think the RR kasangas are stunning fish J M O though.. Question how much is 1 US dollar compaired to 1 Aussie dollar??

Here's my addition for the week, I'm worried Dave might remove me from the club if I don't keep my contributions up!

:lol2::lol2:

Afew solo shots:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Seems to be the alpha male, by far the biggest and most agressive:

IPB Image

A couple group shots:

IPB Image

IPB Image

And a tank mate shot:

IPB Image

I've played with the contrast and levels in some of the pics and I'm not overly happy with the results (particularly shots 1 and 2), still better than staight off the camera though...

I have only 3 wild RRs.. I was trying to build a colony,but nothing availble local.. I think the RR kasangas are stunning fish J M O though.. Question how much is 1 US dollar compaired to 1 Aussie dollar??

One Australian Dollar currently buys about US 74c so your colony would have cost about AU$440

Cheers

Shane

Yes MM they are the yellow type.. We pay about 25 to 35 US dollars per wild fish here plus shipping.. I have never bought wilds from the internet dealers.. I like to see what I am getting.. J D

Hey Jon....great ilangi pics mate!!!! Glad to see u posted for a change....

i was discussing with Aline just today whether to remove u from the elite club today but luckily u just snucked in!! :thumb Remember we want to see at least one post from each member per week!! Only joking!!!

i think if Aline can get us WC for $US 50 each then we can all be extremetly thankful!!!

Guest parallel

Dave I was referring to my big mamma and not the male. :p:p

On a seriuosly note the type of food you feed to cichlid/Tropheus do enhance their growth rate. The comparsion of my Ilangi and Jon growth rate can really put a stamp to a certain product. Mind you, we both bought our T's roughly at the same time in fact he got it 2 week after me but his T's growth rate was phenomenal. His T's is probably twice as big as my largest out of the small group. :B

So I just have to rub it in a bit... :lol3::lol4:

Cheers

Hey J D, welcome to the forum, very nice pics and of course beautiful fish.

Here's a couple of pics of my ilangi:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey Jon (spedwards), beautiful fish and pics :)

Cheers,

Waruna

Hey j.c - I have personal experience with the FX5 and sand and it aint good. The FX5 has big gaps down the sides of the filter media and the motor is at the bottom of the unit. Therefore if sand gets in the unit (and it will, since Ts love to play in it and stir it up all the time) it will fall to the bottom of the unit and destroy the motor.

FX5s are awesome filters if you have no substrate or gravel. They are however not suited to sand.

Hope that helps.

Hey Aline - wicked photos mate, seems like that birthday pressie was money well spent, tell her well done on the pics :thumb . I especially like the close up of the two Lufubus, very cute :wub .

Nice pics once again Waruna :thumb .

Jamie.

Guest parallel

What food is Jon using??? ;)

Sorry i couldn't resist!

So why mate aren't u using it as well?

I don't want to start another debate but the food is on numerous threads. :zipit:

Cheers

Parallel

thanks for the welcome and all the kind words everyone. It's good to be here. I can't believe there are three additional pages since I posted last night.

There are a lot of tropheus nuts here in Texas. We actually have a few sources locally to purchase from in Houston, Texas. At the store, they range from $30 to $45 dollars each for wild caught adults. Just depends on size and if the fish is hard to get or not. I have ordered online though. I bought my red rainbows from bluechip aquatics. That was my first time and I was very impressed. I bought 25 large wild caught adults for $18 a piece. That is a great price. But I didn't get to see them before the purchase and I was very nervous. I'm now a believer in purchasing fish online.

Like many of you, I also feed all of my tropheus and petros NLS exclusively. It truly is a great food.

my 92 gallon tank is actually going to be home for some demasoni's and yellow labs. I've never done mbuna before and I am looking forward to stocking this tank. I waiting on the tank to complete the cycle.

I hope I didn't leave anything out. It's kind of hard to go back three pages. LOL

Well here are a few more pics of my red rainbows.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Oh yeah, I rember something else. Dave, my wife loves tropheus too. But I do all the maintenance and feeding. Actually, she keeps the glass/acrylic cleaned and I do everything else. :)

Awesome Waruna.. Thanxx for inviting me here.. great place!!

You are welcome mate, thought you'll like it here. :thumbup:

Hey Aline, tell your Daughter those pics are awesome :thumbup: which one is which though? What are the yellow looking ones? Kind of looks like my ilangi?

Thanks Jamie :)

I don't want to start another debate but the food is on numerous threads.

G' Day Parallel, our food is so different to the rest and it will always create controversy. That is why the editor of TFH entitled the article in 2003 " A feeding revolution?" Are we talking about NLS here? :p;)

Hey Jolley, ver very cool pics of stunning fish mate :thumbup:

Cheers,

Waruna

Lufubu fry, Ilangi fry and Nkonde adults in that order :thumbup:

Ilangi are much more orange in the body and of course have the red dorsal :)

Cheers - :thumb will pass your comments onto her

Love the pics Jolly. They look fantastic. The water quality is absolutely crystal clear. :thumbup:

Parrdog, thanks for the info, i didn't think that the males wouldn't be fertile yet. i have had about 3 other mouth fulls but not to term by the same male. It might be silly of me to say but Do you think he might be a dud ?

Look i finally did it. My first pic. :clap

IPB Image

Sorry the image isn't very good but i am sure i will get better with practice. :thumbup:

Cute pic Pheebes :) .

Don't worry mate, he aint a dud, just takes the boys a bit longer to get their gear in order.

John - sensational mate, those Rainbows are just off the dial, totally kick butt, and better than Ilangi and Mpulungu in my opinion. Thanks for the pics mate, gorgeous :thumb . On a side note, my pump I asked you about for my new sump will turn the tank over 9 times an hour.

Jamie.

Archived