Breeding pair & domestic violence

thermofish

Is it common in a breeding pair of fish for the male to just one day flip out and try an kill its mate?

Cause thats what my Cuban just did.

He's have a few batches of fry with a female texan (dont worry the hybrids i use a feeders)

They have been happily married for about 10 months now.

But today he went psyco and nearly killed her.

They have plenty of room with just the two of them in a 4x2x2, but now ive had to remove the cuban to prevent death to my texan.

Just curious if this is a common occurance.

cheers.

Yeah It is common among cichlids, Umm I think one way to make a pair bond even stronger is to use some sort of ?dither? fish, so that they dont get bored or anything, alot of other peeps will probably have a better idea! I dont like using dither fish!

Thermofish use a divider (egg crate works well) with a hole cut in it. Make sure that the size of the hole only allows the female to pass through. This way she can escape the rigorous exploits of the male.

merjo.

I dont think haitinensis are in Australia.

Dither fish dont work for me, the cuban is just a killing machine.

He's seperated now, i think he will be seeing about the rest of his days alone.

Pitty.

I think i might set up a eartheater tank now.

cheers.

I lost one batch of fry after i went away for the weekend and the seven fry from the previous bunch had a feed on them.

but it was about two weeks later when the cuban lost it. im wondering if the heat got to him.

Anyway, now ive got a big empty looking 4x2x2 an i dont know what to do with it.

im thinking eartheaters but at $200+ a fish its a bit out of my range.

Archived