Mangrove Jack Feeding

corngrits

I have a 15cm mangrove jack that lives by himself in a 3 foot tank with a small ammount of rock salt in it. I feed him twice a day on a random piece of defrosted frozen bait eg. prawns, white bait, blue bait etc. And once a week give him a few live gold fish, crays or freshwater prawns.

After a discussion with someone else I know who owns one he said that I am possibly over feeding it and this can cause problems as the jack gets to adult age causing it to be 'weak' and have strength and bone issues blink.gif

The fish seems happy and I could probably feed him more but am slightly concerned by this advice.

Can any one shed any light on the matter??

Thanks

Glen

I've never heard of overfeeding leading to it being weak and having bone issues as it gets older.

I feed my bass irregularly, sometimes short burst of daily feeds etc...I'm sure they don't get a full feed twice a day in their natural habitat.

Hi Corngrits...

The comment that was made to you about feeding well causing fast growth and therefore bone weakness, etc is more applicable to dogs and the like and not so much to fish.

In some dogs (like Rottweilers) people try to feed them lots to make them grow large. It works to some extent, but also without adequate exercise and the right food combinations leads to bone strength issues and long term connective tissue problems and also shorter lifespan.

Unless you're breeding the feeder organisms yourself (goldfish, etc) you do risk introducing disease to the tank and killing or making your jack seriously ill. That would be the only part of what you're doing that I would change. If you really want to give feeders, grow some convicts or guppies (general 'water rabbit' species biggrin.gif) yourself and feed those.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived