Substrate

fishly

Can I use the normal compose, the one which normally used in our garden (bio grow for roses) as a substrate in the planted tank? Would it affect the fishes? Can it create more troubles (eg. algae bloom) than using gravel as a substrate?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Regards,

Fishly

Hi fishly,

I dont know about your rose mix but i have heard that kitty litter and potting mix has worked. Potting mix seems a similar mix to yours so maybe some others have used it.

wazza

Hi,

Well from what i have read about Kitty litters as a substrate (which is alot), Some brands of KL conatin High levels of chelated iron. Some people believe KL is nearly as good as substrates like flourite. If you do a search there should be stacks of information on KL as a substrate, as well as using potting mixes etc.

A good place to start is this site;

www.plantedtank.net

Thats a good american planted aquarium site. Information and opinions on differing substrates is endless. But ofcourse its an american site, so things here are different compared to there, so things like KL's they recommend for use in tanks dont exist here. So gather info from That site and also this one, but check back here to see what is recommended etc etc.

HTH

Grungie

The reason for kitty litter is the zeolite, to bind Fe for the plants. BUT, and this is a big but, not all kitty litter is the same, and there is an awful lot of stories of failures in the planted aquarium archives (see The Krib), so I wouldn't recommend it. It would appear that soil (or potting mix) is quite good, especially mixed with some peat (not coconut peat BTW), as that improves the redox properties making the Fe more available.

If you do go this route, make sure the soil is in the bottom 1/3, and gravel the top 2/3, as the soil will be too rich in direct contact with water. Also make sure your fish do not dig (one of the reasons I went with laterite instead, although should have added peat).

I've seen some BRILLIANT planted tanks done on regular topsoil covered in gravel. There is a great book about it, but i cant recall the name. Seems very easy to do and maintain smile.gif

I too have heard of kitty litter. Problem is finding out what is in what brand.

I've seen some BRILLIANT planted tanks done on regular topsoil covered in gravel. There is a great book about it, but i cant recall the name. Seems very easy to do and maintain smile.gif

Probably "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of that book? rolleyes.gif

Best bet is Amazon; with the A$ as it is, will probably be worth it, expecially if you order a few books.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought the potting mix already. But I have a question here, do I have to wash them or not?

No, but have at least 4-5 cm of gravel over it. Might also be good to mix in some peat; I've always wanted to try that, but don't currently have a new tank to experiment on, so would be interested to see how you find it.

Hey Guys,

While your on the topic. Is it possible to maintain a planted tank ( a nice one) without the substrates your talking about and by simply using gravel? If so what plants would best suit this environment?

Would CO2 be required on a 3ft tank with three fluro globes?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Andrew

While your on the topic. Is it possible to maintain a planted tank ( a nice one) without the substrates your talking about and by simply using gravel? If so what plants would best suit this environment?

It's possible, but easier with at the very least laterite; it short-cuts the process, as otherwise you have to depend on mulm buildup to provide fertiliser. Echinodorus especially needs a fertilised substrate. Most things will grow in a non-fertilised substrate, but just slowly; having done both, the difference is very apparent.

Would CO2 be required on a 3ft tank with three fluro globes?

What wattage are your tubes? CO2 can help in high light tanks to reduce algae buildup (more common in brightly lit tanks) in conjunction with the proper fertiliser regime and enough plants.

What about potting mix and sand? Would the same idea work, or would it be too easy for the fish to get to the bottom?

And is it just generic home brand potting mix, or some special brands we should look out for/stay away from (eg: those with added garden supplements)?

Has anyone ever heard about the “Liebig Minimum Theory”? It states that “plant growth will be dictated by the one factor that is present at a minimum.”.

In reference to the question about will a 3’ with light get by without CO2 and a planted tank without some sort of substrate additive. Yes you can, but the Liebig Minimum Theory will take a hand, and if the “minimum factor” is something that can only be added within the substrate, or will be made up for with the addition of CO2, then what do you think will happen with those tanks? Will the plants die? Most likely not, but that will depend on the requirements of the plant species. If they require a lot of nutrients, such as red leaved plants (which probably won’t have red leaves under those circumstances anyway), then they may not survive.

I have two tanks with soil straight from the garden, and gravel on top of that. There is no artificial lighting, no CO2, and all the plants are low light (anubius, jarva fern and moss and a few swords and crypts), and you can’t see the back of either tank. If I had all of the previously mentioned, then they would do better, but they get by okay as it is, and I don’t have masses of pruning to do (mostly just the spawning moss).

I guess it is a choice of HOW well you want the tank to go, and if you want to grow some of the more demanding of the plants (red leaves).

Anyway, just my thoughts. Try to get your head around the Libig Minimum Theory , as though it is very simple, it can also be a bit inverse at times (such as adding light to get ride of an algae problem if light is your minimum factor), and always enabled me to “tweak” the correct factor in my old 400 litre planted tank.

BTW if one has a planted tank, don't have fish that dig, and if one has a planted tank, no Mbuna has a place in it, as appart from their digging, they require completly different pH.

Craig

Or Lams, or Campbelltown Aquarium, or order on-line from www.aquaria.com.au. The two Craig suggested and the three above I know to have laterite (Duplarit). Or if you follow Frank's (from Manly Aquarium) advise, go up the road a bit, and dig some from the red hillside in the Central Coast area.

potting mix contains too many organic materials which is more suitable for algae growths. Hence u will have problems with controlling algae break-out.

i wouldn't recommend using potting mixes, get something that is high in iron and low in phosphate. e.g laterite

u don't have to get a lot, just a few balls around the roots.

Please pardon me for being perhaps ignorant, but when there is soil under the gravel, how does one vacuum the gravel for removing faeces etc without disturbing the soil / potting mix / special rooting material and mixing it into the gravel or sucking it out? Just do a superficial surface vacuum rather than a plunge and twist vacuum?

Looking forward to learning from you all.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Please pardon me for being perhaps ignorant, but when there is soil under the gravel, how does one vacuum the gravel for removing faeces etc without disturbing the soil / potting mix / special rooting material and mixing it into the gravel or sucking it out? Just do a superficial surface vacuum rather than a plunge and twist vacuum?

If you have enough plants, why would you remove their source of fertiliser? biggrin.gif

From personal experience, planted tanks with gravel only don't take off until there is mulm buildup to feed the plant roots (for rooting plants such as Vals, Crypts and Echinodorus).

Archived