For the purposes of this forum?

Ant

Should we give our hongi separate names??  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know that we have been unofficially been calling them Red top and yellow top Hongi, but for the purposes of this forum should we call them differant names? because yellow,red and orange is a little bit ambigous in identifying these fish as one could easily be mistaken for the other, we could call the Red/Orange top *Hongi Kimpuma* and the Yellow top just *Hongi* Just an idea. What do people think??????

Just to emphsise "for the purpose of this forum". Yellow top and Red top aren't official thats just what weve decided to call them. The names i gave was just a suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!. I say that thoses names are too confusing!! and maybe we need to give them a better unofficial names. smile.gif

Anthony cool.gif

PS: Let me know why you think its a bad idea!!!!!!!!!

well why do people call them red?????? so you just confused the issue your self are they orange or red? Most would say red. What if your oranges are just colour fed yellows??? how would you tell the differance if you dont have a name to identify them by other than a colour??? Hypothetically others will buy them and get mixed up because you call them yellow but they appear orange. People will mix them and in the end "if" they are completely differant variants we will not be able to rectify the problem.

Anthony cool.gif

Well Ant I've never seen a RED one or even a photo of a truly red one. The ones I have seen are orange. So that's why I call it orange. And as for yellow ... well I haven't seen any where they ALL stay yellow either. Recall the example pics in a previous thread ... the orange and yellow were the same fish. I hear that there are two strains but I guess I'm waiting to see it with my own eyes.

Ute gods male and female are clearly differant from my collony, my fish come from a relyable sorce and are pure (if infact our species are pure)

Anthony cool.gif

Red top zebs and Red top black bar zebs both have yellow/orange top fins, not red.

Not sure why, but that might explain the 'red top' thing a bit more for you.

Well I have some from two different importations ... both orange top, both are clearly different. Well clearly to me anyway. But they are both orange finned. I have heard of two importations (and I have some of each) but if there have been any others I don't know of them. Quite possible that there have been that I don't know of, coz I'm not exactly in the middle of things.

IMO all the hongis in oz are the one and the same species.. some may just display more red than others wether its food or because of line breeding ..

It doesnt matter what species of fish it is there will be slight differences, lets face it if we all looked exactly the same it would be a dull place tongue.gif

If colour decided if a species was pure or not, then Aussie M's range of peacocks are pure and half of what I see go through the auctions are not pure....

Have a look at RTBB zebs. You could argue that the ones that display a deep orange are one variant and the ones that show a dull faded yellow / orange are another variant, whereas we know that rtbb's are different colours due to poor breeding or good breeding. I can't see the fuss over hongi. There have been a couple of imports and obviously one lot was a different colour to the next.

The last lot of gold occies were horrid compared to the previous import, but we just take it for granted that all fish are not created equal.

My advice, just get on with it and breed the colour hongi you like the best. Show pictures that represent the actual colour of the fish and there can be no mistake when a person wants to buy them.

Until someone can show info that says Konings is wrong, all hongi are the same species.

OK looks like i've been proved wrong that there is infact only one hongi. But i do agree with HereFishieFishie, maybe we should keep them separated. Only, could this cause another problem if each of the differant colour (variations) were siblings?? if we continue to inbreed these lines wont they eventually become defective????

Anthony cool.gif

Archived