Can a fish become attatched to other fish?

wazza

Say there were 2 fish in a tank and they were living together in the same tank together for 10 years. Would it be possible that if one fish died the other would get depressed and refuse food etc etc.? i know this is possible in dogs and probably other animals. (including humans wink.gif ) I had a teacher once who had to stuff the food down the dogs throat because its brother died and it was depressed. But my question is could a fish become attached to another fish? or a human?

wazza

Yes it is very true wazza. Classic example that i have seen is with oscars.

They solk when siblings are seperated or others taken away from them. All they do is lie on there sides and breath heavily. But the thing is they are healthy but mentally disturbed.

Regards,

Ben thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Absolutely! I've seen it with oscars, port acaras, featherfin catfish, even convicts

that have been raised together in a pair since fry. THere is no doubt that they bond and will stress if one is removed or dies.

Its quite sad to watch.

Nick

Also have to aggree when i seperated my gold severums so that she could do a bit of growing instead of egg laying, they both got real sookky and didnt eat or swim around like usuall, so i put them back in now he is twice the size of her! have also tried just dividing them so that they are visible to each other still go sooky because they cant swimm together...!

Archived