TANKBUSTER

BLACKBAR

just thought i'd mention this my brother was fishing last weekend in the hawkesbury river and caught something that i wish he had've brought home i'm guessing it would have been illegal to keep not to familiar with the minimum size for a hammerhead shark!!!! he caught a juvenile hammerhead!!! mustn't have been too old my brother estimated its size at about 20 inch and said it looked exactly like a full sized shark just scaled down whats the law on hammer heads????

need to know if i should kick his buM or not

and also what would the water be like in the hawkesbury dont know exactly where he was but sharks breed in fresh or brackish water dont they??? at what size would they need to be in saltwater????

because of the recent lack in rain, the river will be running salt realy high up.

also sharks, as many fish, can sustain low salt content in water for quite a while. but still, a weird catch - always thought hammar heads were a 'out at sea species'

jamie

Sick! that would have looked awesome in a 10x3x3! with some other hammers jeez id bash him even if it was illegal! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif By the way, nice catch!

Up here in Newcastle we catch heaps of them just out of the harbour, in Stockton bite, School sharks have a 91cm limit, but as far as i know Hammmers aren't school sharks, and at that size are getting into very tasty bracket, but after the prawns have stopped running it isn't uncommon to catch them in the harbour itself, a couple of weeks ago i got 3 between 60 and 80 cm.

gotta talk to him n find out exactly where he was i'll try get him to go again if he'd have brought it home i'd have gotten a good sized tank for it that same day f possible i think thy look awesome especially when chasing some goldfish

• 3 weeks later...

good luck with trying to keep, and feed one of those!!!

hammer heads as far as i have learned from discovery channel! hehehe, are a kinda outa reef, blue water shark. as searlesy said 18 feet although seems huge i dont think would be over stating their growth expectation. the young come into shore to grow, being found in mangroves, and shore lines where predation is minimised and food sources maximised.

for a large shark like that you'd need to have a mini ocean to house it in! a 10x3x6meter tank would be too small for its infancy... and as far as i know they have a tendancy towards being schooling sharks, so you'd need more than one. also i think i've heard that with constantly moving shark you need curved tanks as they can't swim backwards if they get stuck in a corner and species like the hammer head dont have movable gills, they pass water over them by constantly swimming with thier mouths partly open.

dont do it dude!

get a smaller ray or smaller less mobile species if you want a shark!

• 4 weeks later...

Not about Hammerheads but on sharks anyway. Research is being done in Parramatta River at the moment on Bull sharks. It seems quite common for them to be found in fresh water as far as 15km inland. The research is trying to find out how quickly they acclimate to other conditions such as saltwater to freshwater and back. Currently they found 1 bull shark tagged in saltwater then caught in freshwater 1 day later.

The scariest thing to think about the hammerhead shark your brother caught, is that a 20" hammerhead sounds like a newly born baby. And if that's the case, then it may appear that MUM was cruising around somewhere in the same water.

Good luck, keep fishing and keep your hands in the boat.

Rob

Nah, i doubt mum was cruising around, little sharks are quite common in esturies up and down the coast. It's merely a very safe place for them away from the open sea, with plentiful food. Up here in Stockton bite and the Harbour there are times of year when it's impossible to catch a flathead, for the Hammerheads.

But on the Bull shark issue, i was watchin the Fox last night and there was a whole doco on Bull sharks going up freshwater rivers. It was all related to shark attacks in rivers, particularly in the U.S and India. They said Bull sharks in particular can travel well up into freshwater, not brackish. They can tolerate totally fresh water, I don't know for how long but they said it was all due to breeding season when mummy needs to get some condition back and avoid predation.

So i reckon most sharks or at least quite a few, use esturies and brackish rivers like the Hawksbury and the Hunter mainly during the breeding season.

Archived