How to treat Pleco fungus infection

JJHamer

Hi, my pleco has a rather nasty infection on his shoulder. There is a white fungus growing from a very angry looking section of his skin.

I was thinking of giving him salt baths and treating him with melafix. Can anyone tell me if this is the right way to go about it, and how to go about it.

Thanks

This is photo from a little while ago, before the white stuff appeared.

user posted image

Hi

I think the right medication is Primafix??? It's by the same brand as Melafix but instead its in a blue bottle rather then the green one like Melafix.

Yeah I reckon salt baths aswell as following the instructions on the Primafix bottle should do the job.

I was told by the aquarium some people use both - the Primafix to get rid of the fungi and the Melafix to heal the scar back/dis-infect.

Hi 

I think the right medication is Primafix??? It's by the same brand as Melafix but instead its in a blue bottle rather then the green one like Melafix.

Melafix is in a blue bottle aswell LOL.gif

Try fungonex (half dose)

The treat with melafix if desired thumbup.gif

How do I go about giving him a salt bath? I've never done it before and have no idea how to do it without hurting him.

I've never salt bathed a pleco, but when I did it for my black belt with pop-eye I did the following...

* 1/2 fill bucket with tank water (might need larger container depending on fish size - perhaps esky or 2' tank?)

* add about 1/2kg of rock salt & stir like there's no tomorrow

* when it's as disolved as it's going to get, add fish in question.

The blackbelt almost instantly flopped to it's side & floated - wouldn't you if you were shocked like this?

* when you can't stand making your fish suffer any longer (maybe a minute), return it to the tank.

I then tipped the salty water back into the tank - so it was 500g rock salt to a 350l tank

I was also treating with melafix (and DIY melafix when that ran out)

The fish is fine now with the eye back in it's socket with a little scarring on the cornea, eats & moves the eye like it's looking so it appears it can still see out of it to a degree (just from watching it's behaviour)

YMMV & all that.

If you're faint of heart, just salt the tank.

Fungal infections on wounds are fairly common in water. Often the culprits arent actually fungi but it's a technical issue.

Try the melafix and fish's immune system smile.gif. Together they should do the job without much trouble. Adding salt probably wont affect the fungus (or whatever is causing the wound) but it will lower the osmotic stress on the fish and aid in restoring the slime coat. NB: Caution is advised with salt and salt-sensitive catfish (and cichlids) which can drop dead if you arent careful due to osmotic shock!

Other fungal infections are often indicators of water quality (though on a wound they arent).

HTH -

Cheers guys, I've started him on his way to recovery with melafix and a salt bath, and some salt into the water. He hasn't suffered any ill effects from the salt bath, and the wound is now looking less angry.

Thanks for your help! thumb.gif

Archived