Princess Cichlids

D.apps

wink.gif

Hi D.apps,

I think the scientific name is 'Neolamprologus brichardi'. I believe they are pretty common, as most of the LFS around hear have them

here is a PROFILE on these fish

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

Yeah i think thats them although the pic i saw the fish was alot more purple than that but hey, anymore info would be great. Also Little swimmer, if you could let me know the prices of them down your way i may pop down and grab some, my lfs dont really have alot of exciting cichlids either that or they are way too expensive. anyway thanks guys!!!

cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Hi D.apps,

they were $12.00 each. They also had just had a spawn and had killed the three or others they had in the tank. If I had the room i would have bought them myself. I dont know if they still there, as it would have been a week or so since I have been in there.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

I bought some Brichardi *Ratunga Barundi* greenface, not long ago. I love these fish and aparently they are prolific breeders once they get going. They are even more awesome when full grown, but watch out they are the fastest fish i've seen and can be nasty.

Anthony cool.gif

I have had good luck keeping 2 males in my community Tang tank. They dont cause any problem with the other fish, and if they are messed with, they can take care of themselves very well. I wouldnt suggest puting a male/female combo with other fish however, because they will start breeding, and defend their young so well, you might notice all your other fish crammed into a quarter of the tank.

When I first got mine I ended up with a breeding pair out of the group, and ended up taking all but the 2 males back to the store.

princess brichardi will relentlessly protect their young, i know its not right but have my single male in with a few amaricans, the only thing that bothers him is the 12cm severum and even then he gets his own back occasionally. he is seperated from the other tangs as they breed like rabbits, and as mentiond get rather teritorial even in a 6x2x2. they will also redily x breed with other members of the brichardi complex, mine bullies the male pulcher and then breeds with his missus.!! Even my pulchers are seperated now as the breeding aggresssion is not worth the fact that i cant sell the fry. in my opinion brichardi are very hardy fish tolerant to water fluctuations (even the occasional cat incident) and will defend them selves vigilantely especially while breeding, they are quick and can cause some damage, particularly to fins, (big teeth) oooh and they cant stand bristleneses, love to pull the bristles off! or just killem.

If you lived closer you could have my my 8cm male for $10...

hope this helps.

I am hoping to come up to q'land, some time in the near future so I will get a post up and running when I am nearly ready to leave and ket everyone up there know hwat i want/need from outa this district, and then Ill be able to get "new blood" thanks for the offer but!

I love Brichardii they are a spectacular little fish, and definately rival convicts for breeding aggression, i had a pair that systematically killed everything in their tank, even the mystery snails! The male would hover just behind the snail and as soon as it emerged he'd lash out and take a chunk out of it, then it'd retreat and a few minutes later emaerg again only to be hit! And my b/n cats couldn't even hide unde rocks as they would dislodge the gravel in order to get under and try to kill them. Very protective fish, i found as soon as this behaivour starts it's not long until they spawn.

Archived