Kribs

Cheekie1

Hi All

I have a 3 ft tank and I have 1 pair of kribs in there with other fish. I was given another pair of Kribs and I put them into my tank. Now I have the original pair chasing the new pair around the tank. I thought I read sometime ago that 2 pairs would be ok in a 3ft tank!!

I have caught them and put them into another tank that I had to borrow. How can I help these 2 pairs get on with each other???

If I left the 2nd pair in there for a couple of days would they finally get on????

Thanks for the help

biggrin.gif

When my Kribs tried to spawn they also tried to destroy every fish in their tank (a 3' also) i'd guess that your Kribs are just intolerant or trying to breed. There is a chance that some dithers will calm them down, and building two distinctive territories at opposite ends of the tank. Also try to 'divide' the tank with a good sized rock or something to obstuct one end of the tank from the other. HTH

There is an order of aggression in most cichlid species. It goes something like males of one species will be aggressive to males of the same species before they will be aggressive to females of the same species before they will be aggressive towards other cichlids befor ethey will be aggressive towards other fish. Females are simialr. Krib will not tolerate competiton within their territory and 3ft may seem big enough but I assure you that in the wild krib establish far larger territories and females will tolerate another female withni their territory and males won't tolerate another male n the same territory. In a large tank you can have one male and a few females but only if clearly defined territories are present. Males will assert a heirachy and the most dominant fish will chase subdominant males out. If they can't get away there is a good chance they will be killed. Females are oportunistic mate selectors and if a new, stringer male is introduced to an established pair she will dicth the old one and take up with the new one. Someone is bound to say that they have successfully kept more than one pair together in the same 3ft tank but I dare say that they were juveniles or the tank was so crowded that normal reproductive behaviours were suppressed.

Archived