biotope tank for dovii

burgoid

hey guys i've decided to go with with a dovii for my new 210gal. 6x2x2.5 i will be running a 35gal as a sump with a couple of AC 500's as well. this is going to be a show tank and i also want it to be a biotope tank. i was thinking maybe a costa rica river. i have a couple of large pieces of wood and anubius. i was thinking of a rather dark sand with a dark background. is there anything else that would really set the tank off. also what could work as dithers for a little. preferably from the same area. if i was to chuck a pair of cons in their while the dovii was still young how long would they last.

any suggestions/ideas are welcome.

cheers dave

Hi Dave (et al),

For some reason, the idea of biotope aquaria have always appealed to me.

I'm very disappointed by the lack of information out there though.

Google returns only a few sites. For African Rift Lakes, Ad Koning's "species-at-locations" lists on the cichlid press site are pretty good, so that's the way I plan to go in the future.

My current, single tank (for population see signature section below) is all-Malawi as far as the cichlids go, but also includes a couple of SA catfish. I didn't know much about localities when I got into the hobby, so my cichlids aren't all from the same region, so MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) here we come!!

(Actually, the real reason for expanding is likely to be that despite relatively peaceful co-existence for the last two years, some of the cichlids are starting to exhibit cabin fever symptoms).

What would be good would be for people to add replies in this thread indicating useful sources of information for biotopes, and possibly submitting photos for the photography forum.

Cheers,

I am a big fan of biotopes aswell.

heres a little bit of useful information for you!

As you know the dovii is from lake nicaragua and there are 13 other species that are endemic to that lake, nicuaraguense, nematopus, managuense, citrinellum, maculicauda, labiatum, centrarchus, longimanus, loisellei, nigrofasciatum, spilurus, multispinosa, and rostratus.

so there are a few options there. but i found this little bit of awesome info about dovii interactive behaviour with a couple of cichlids in the lake and i think it would be interesting to see if the fish would replicate this in the aquaria.

"Does anyone want to hear the cool relationship between nickies, nematopus, and Dovii's? It's short, I promise.

Rickdf says: sure FektoN

FektoN says: ok, in the lake, nickies and nematopus compete for the rocky zones in which they breed. The Nematopus are much smaller, but they've got heart, and usually succeed in driving the nickies out. sad.gif

FektoN says: Dovii's breed in more open areas in deeper water, where they try to raise huge spawns... According to Konings, frustrated male Nickies will help these dovii's raise their brood. the result? More dovii's next year, which eat many of the nematopus, their favorite food. Meaning less competition for the nickies next spawning season."

for the rest of this discussion go HERE

Beau.

very intersting read there. mayb this topic could be made 'sticky' and we get a whole heap of info for setting up a CA biotope aquarium with pics and links and the lot.

There are a number of books available on setting up "Biotype Aquariums". These include;

The Biotope Aquarium: An Authentic Imitation of Nature in Your Home: Setting Up Natural-Looking Aquariumsby Rainer Stawikowski

Dynamic Aquaria: Building Living Ecosystemsby Walter H. Adey, Karen Loveland

Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise for the Home Aquaristby Diana L. Walstad

Hobbyist Guide to the Natural Aquarium

by Chris Andrews

The Natural Aquarium: How to Imitate Nature in Your Home

by Satoshi Yoshino, D. Kobayashi

Aquarium Plants

by Christel Kasselmann

Nature Aquarium Worldby Takashi Amano

Nature Aquarium World: Book 3

by Takashi Amano

Aquarium Beautiful

A. Van Den Niewenhuizen

I don't know what the availabilty is like for all of the them but the first is available in Australia.

Ged

I am a big fan of biotopes aswell.

heres a little bit of useful information for you!

As you know the dovii is from lake nicaragua and there are 13 other species that are endemic to that lake, nicuaraguense, nematopus, managuense, citrinellum, maculicauda, labiatum, centrarchus, longimanus, loisellei, nigrofasciatum, spilurus, multispinosa, and rostratus.

so there are a few options there. but i found this little bit of awesome info about dovii interactive behaviour with a couple of cichlids in the lake and i think it would be interesting to see if the fish would replicate this in the aquaria.

"Does anyone want to hear the cool relationship between nickies, nematopus, and Dovii's? It's short, I promise.

Rickdf says: sure FektoN

FektoN says: ok, in the lake, nickies and nematopus compete for the rocky zones in which they breed. The Nematopus are much smaller, but they've got heart, and usually succeed in driving the nickies out. :(

FektoN says: Dovii's breed in more open areas in deeper water, where they try to raise huge spawns... According to Konings, frustrated male Nickies will help these dovii's raise their brood. the result? More dovii's next year, which eat many of the nematopus, their favorite food. Meaning less competition for the nickies next spawning season."

for the rest of this discussion go HERE

Beau.

Wow, when I build my indoor pond the fish I had earmarked for it are in that list!

managuense, citrinellum, maculicauda & nigrofasciatum were my pics - I'll have to keep the carpinte, salvini & octofasiatum elsewhere then & literally go Lake Nicaragua biotope, I was kinda planning this but didn't find much info other than the species I'd already collected.

What non-cichlids/catties are in that lake?

I have a 2 story ex-housing commision house in NQ - was basically going to brick in a bay between the cement posts, seal it & decorate it with large rounded river stones as per Mongabay's photos. rough dimentions planned are 7'x7'x3' with a 7'x15"x15" as a "planted filter" next to it

There are at least two copies of Aquarium Beautiful at Bankstown Library.

I note that one of these is in the kid's section, in fact there are more books on keepting fish in the kid's section that the general/adults one!

Cheers,

With Cichlids like Dovii which are predatory, Id stick to a species tank rather than the biotope. I dont think plants would last long as most Sth American tend to 'personalise' their environment. A safe bet would be some coarse gravel and smooth river stones as a substrate, some interesting wood and spend your money on one of those lovely latex backgrounds (like the one with the tree root) Subdued lighting and you'll have a nice Dovii species tank. remember when they grow they will require every inch of that 6ft tank. Perhaps some of the pleco catfish could live in there? Have to check with the cattie people on that one. thumb.gif

i have one of the univerisal rock backgrounds for my 4 foot there are really great. i havent seen one for a 6 foot with tree roots though. univerisal only makes the one call the "olgas" who makes the tree root one?

wow sounds like it will be great. will you be able to view it from the sides.

Was planning on putting a sheet of 12mm glass into one side, yeah.

Archived