Dainty Tree Frogs

E4G13M4N

<H1>Dainty Tree Frogs</H1><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Matti Cichlid</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Guys,

<br>

<br>

Great forum, Nikki and Yew

Its a great idea!!!

<br>

<br>

I cannot find any info anywhere on the keeping of the dainty tree frog. We get them all the time in the banana boxes at Safeway (Woolies)

Does anyone know how to keep them?

<br>

<br>

Thanks,

<br>

<br>

Matt

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: E4G13M4N</STRONG><BR><BR>Matti they are fairly easy to keep ..

<br>

Just need a small water section that is easy to clean or if you can an u/g filter works ok ...

<br>

The more plants the better and a heat source to keep them warm depending on how cold the room gets they are kept in ..

<br>

<br>

we use a red party globe above a mesh section in the hood of the tank..

<br>

<br>

Also you probally need a permit from NPWS to keep frogs

<br>

in the eastern states

... Unlike SA were permits are not required

<br>

<br>

^Mark^

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: griffin</STRONG><BR><BR>Yes you do need a permit to keep them - costs $40 for 2 yrs from National Parks & Wildlife Services.

<br>

<br>

You can get help and advice from the FATS (froga and tadpole study group) orginisation - they're really excellent, know all there is to know about frogs and do excellent conservation work (we probably wouldn't still have the Green and Golden Bell Frog if it wasn't for them).

<br>

<br>

If you are finding a lot of frogs in the banana boxes you can get FATS to come rescue them - they quarrantine them and then give them out to members of their society to keep as pets. The frogs can't be released because they are not likely to survive Sydney winters and there is also the threat of them spreading disease to local frog populations.

<br>

<br>

A contact number for FATS is (02) 9371 9129. They're very helpful.

<br>

<br>

Jess

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Matti Cichlid</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Jess,

<br>

<br>

Thanks for that number I'll take it in. We just call the RSPCA normally.

<br>

<br>

Matt

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: cichlidan</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

Hi

<br>

<br>

Firstly I would like to say that this herp forum is a cool idea! How problematic are frogs to care for? Do they keep u awake all night with their call?

<br>

<br>

Cheers

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Baz</STRONG><BR><BR>I used to keep 2 green tree frogs (no idea of their sci name, but they were about as big as the palm of my hand) in a tank.

<br>

half the tank was built up with big rocks, with 'land' on top and a few plants and logs. the other half was water, and using an eheim 2213 the water was nice and clear, and returned via a rock waterfall in the corner.

<br>

<br>

The frogs were not as easy to care for as fish, i found. you really need to feed frogs live food, which means a mixture of storing/cultivating etc maggots, mealworms, crickets and such.

<br>

<br>

then there's the cleaning... fish tanks have filters which take all the waste away. frogs do big fat smelly turds under logs, beneath plants, in the hardest place for removal generally. if you dont clean em up they will get mouldy and your frogs no longer have a clean home to live in.

<br>

<br>

now to the croaking... i kept frogs back in the days when i lived at my parents place and i ended up getting rid of my frogs (a mate took them for his tank) because i was told it was either me or them, but one of us had to leave.

<br>

lol

<br>

they are nice and peaceful during the day, but as night falls and the whole household is starting to sleep, they will start croaking. but it's ok, as soon as the sun is up they will stop rofl.

<br>

<br>

perhaps the croaking is just some bad luck i had, perhaps i just had 2 sexually frustrated males who were desperately trying to find a mate. but it was pretty noisy at nights.

<br>

<br>

however, they were great fun, and if your tank was to be at the other end of the house from the bedrooms, you should be fine.

Archived