Electric Yellow going black in face/belly

tricky

Recently I noticed one of my electric yellow males going dark, a black/dark grey colour on the front lower part of his head and a fine black line along the bottom of his belly. Not sure if this is normal or not, the other yellow in the tank and all other fish seem unaffected.

He is eating fine and acting normal. Water appears fine, PH around 7.5 - 8, no ammonia or nitrates, other fish in tank have mouthfulls and had my peacocks spawn again yesterday, so i doubt it is quality of water.

There are only two yellows in the tank and i was told they were both males if that makes a difference. They are both about 6cm and he appears to be the dominant one. Any help would be appreciated. Pics added shortly.

G'day

This is a normal development for E yellows. The dominant fish will increase the amount of visible black that they show.

The trick is to obtain or breed fish that limit the amount of black they show.

What are you feeding them?

I have a VERY high quality male that assuming fed correctly, shows no black markings. However, if i feed him certain foods too much, he will show black markings. It is my understanding that if the markings are based on mood and quality of food/water/etc, then line breeding and the likes makes no difference. Before you get rid of him, try changing hte food to a Spirulina based diet and see how you go. It may simply be a food and mood based thing. It worked for me, and mine recently bred, producing some very nice fry while being fed spirulina and occasional brine.

HTH

Dave

When I kept electric yellows I found too much colour enhancing food (tetra bits etc.) increased the frequency and darkness of the black markings on my fish. I am not saying you dont feed your fish corretly, just speaking from my own experience.

I think you may have solved the mystery. Been feeding them a combination of Tetra colour bits, OSI premier pellets (both colour enchancing) and OSI spirulina wafers. I might try increasing the amount of spirulina and see how that goes.

Thanks Guys thumb.gif

Archived