lesions/bleeding under the surface

graceless

i have lost 4 fish in the last week to what appears to be under the skin hemmoraging.

i dunno what's caused it. all water quality levels seem to be good. the fish of the same species in the tank that have not had this problem are the females that are currently holding and the male.

any ideas what this could be? there is no fighting, so i've ruled that out.

also, the "sick" fish seem to start swimming upside down, and spiralling to the bottom of the tank.

all other inhabitants in the tank seem to be fine. i must admit, however, thanks to a recent heatwave in canberra, the water temp may be experiencing a bit of fluctuation.

Cheers

Grace

If you have a nitrite and ammonia tester, I suggest you do a test for both. You can't really know the quality of your water until you do them.

cheers

AK

yer ok. i'll re-test now, and post results....

damn.

ammonia is reading between 0ppm and 0.25 ppm

nitrate is really bad at 20ppm

nitrite is good at 0ppm

is that my problem? such high nitrates? although i did do a water change just 2 days ago!

Grace

that concentration of nitrate shouldn't effect adult fish IMO. Although if you've just done a water change I'm worried at its level ohmy.gif

Getting a reading on ammonia is a worry, any reading, but apparently it depends on your water conditioner and your test kit. Some conditioners bond ammonia to something else making it harmless, then leave it to the bio-filter to take care of. Other conditioners immediately neatralise it.

Depending on your test kit, it might show a reading based on harmless ammonia ions apparently. There is more detailed info on this all over the forums.

there is no fighting, so i've ruled that out

dont!! I am sure you don't watch your tank 24/7. Female fish will be at their most aggressive when holding, and will do major damage with body shots since they wont liplock or open wide for a bite. Body shots can definately cause internal hemmoraging.

How long are effected fish "sick" ie. upside down/erratic swimming?

How long are effected fish "sick" ie. upside down/erratic swimming?

they do that for a day, then they die.

i've just been watching the male sort of flighting himself against the back glass. like scratching but heaps more violent.

i hope it doesn't get him too!

whatever "it" is

Do the fish seem to be eating well?

And does the belly of the fish look full or empty?

I had a similar problem a while ago with one of my fish. I think it was an internal parasite as he wasn't eating at all in the end and he just deteriated and one day he showed internal bleeding and he died like you described.

Here is a pic of him:

user posted image

there is medication for what he had, but i didn't use it, i would suggest isolating any more sick looking ones and treating them. you need to stop it spreading if it is a disease/parasite of some sought.

HTH and i hope your fish get better

cheers

Brett

PS: try and post a pic of a sick fish if you have one.

Need to ask a question so I can refer to my disease book, Graceless.

Does the Skin cloud up in some areas before coming off and leaving bloody patches?

not that i've noticed particularly. but maybe, but i couldn't say for sure. it kind of looks like it's been grated against something, but i only see this after i have fished them out after they're dead

the first death i didn't notice immediately, and i'd say within 24 hours she had lots of fine white hair-likebacteria (?) on her. don' tknow if that helps in investigation.

i have reduced feeding due to trying to get the water back to nice, but i really can't tell if they have gone off their food cause all 3 of the remaining females are holding, and the male is really shy and hides all the time.

cheers

Grace

hmmm...that doesn't help me much, unfortunately, Grace.

If ya wanna look me up on Windows Messanger or ICQ, I can read off the questions from my Disease Book Charts and you can answer...that will make it very easy to find the most likely problem in the shortest possible time.

If you had answered "Yes" to my question I would have suggested treating the tank for a Heavy Costia Infection.

Costia is, according to my Reference material, "...a parasite upon weakness, for healthy adult fish can resist infection. Young Fish, however, are more susceptable."

Hope that helps a little.

Archived