Importing altolamprologus

cirulis

hmm....i don't think that list is up to date yew. i had a look on aqis just now and i found a fish that is not on there.....cyp. leptsoma.

i downloaded a copy of the list...i can send it to you if you want.

i was just wondering, how do all the new alto's get in the country if they are illegal....smuggling or what?

cheers

Brett

I think its a bit of a case of what I dont know cant hurt me dry.gif personally I'd rather not know. I'd like to think they all came in before it was illegal and they were merely chryogenically frozen for a time, but I'm almost certain something illegal is happening. laugh.gif

Sadly fish smuggling seems to have taken a dramatic upturn in recent times. What annoys me most is that this gives the powers that be plenty of opportunity to paint the hobby as irresponsible - and as such I am opposed to this practice (not to mention the ecological consequences if something nasty is imported with (or is) a cichlid).

Moreover, we dont seem to be able to keep the fish we have here presently, so this obsession the hobby has with the other side of the fence is short sighted sad.gif and in most cases, dollar driven.

A recent addition is the peacock gudgeon. I believe this fish was added to the list as a result of an EIA carried out by a private individual with no experience.

If there is sufficient motivation, I'm sure there is adequate ability on this site to provide a good case for the addition of Altos to the list.

Im sure some sort of group action or petition could be formed if people really felt there was a cause worthy of rallying their support. It is simply a matter of finding one definitive topic or premise on which we could all agree and strive for

Archived