Methods of catching holding females

catcher

Hi all,

I'd like to ask for everyones tricks / methods for catching holding females in display tanks without totally de-constructing the tanks. dry.gif

I know I create my own problems by having females in them but IMHO the only way to get the males to show full colour without using "that other stuff" is to do it naturally-have a couple of chicks hanging around the tank! wink.gif

So, there must be people out there in the same boat that have developed traps / tricks to get the girls into something and scoop them out of the tank without stress.

I've used a piece of 40mm PVC pipe about 200mm long and drop it in the tank, the holding girls almost always cruise into it after a while to see if it's a good hiddy hole. When they go in I scoop the pipe up with my big net, she's ok and doesn't see the net coming, it works 50% of the time, so I'm after more ingenius methods.

cheers

glenn

LOL dats pretty neat.

I tried to play the waiting game a couple of times but after 30 mins each i learnt my leason. i just deconstruct everytime i do a water chang, (if i have holding females), so iam just as interested into this topic as you lol.

i wait until shes out front and then block her retreat with cover glasses, then using another cover glass steer her into the front corner ,when shes trapped catch her with a small net. this has worked for me every time so far , catching holding venustas, good luck

Thought I'd add this frustrating but funny side story as well.

I started to put my large net in the tank, net down and lean the handle up against the glass hoping the girls would get used to it after a while, swim past and woosh, got ya. Not so, holding females are very wary of everything. But, my male Venustus took a fancy to the net, in his case hammock, this bugger swims into the net and rests in the bottom of it like a hammock. I couldn't believe it, when I moved him out of it then re-set it in place he swam straight back in and floated to the bottom and stretched out. AHHHHHHHHH. It's a funny/strange hobby.

cheers

glenn

hi all,

in one of his many, many books Ad Konings suggests the construction of a glass/acrylic tower. The base and two sides are fixed. The other two sides have drop doors that slide. You ensure that your tank has an open space that you can lower the tower onto. Then just wait, and drop the doors when the fish you want is inside. If the tower is open at the top, you can drop food or some other tempter in.

The fact that it's transparent makes the fish less suspicious and of course helps the aquarist see what's in the trap.

A friend of mine just puts jars in the tank to catch BN. After the jar's been in a while, he simply reaches in with the lid and seals it. He then empties the jar into a small bucket and does whatever he needs to with the fish (he normally does this when he wants to sell some, so his actions at this point are usually to return any fry that are too small for sale to the main tank). Again, I suspect that the transparent nature of the glass container lulls the fish into a false sense of security.

Cheers, Paul.

Archived