Going to Gold Coast for 2-3 weeks

Burek

Hi Guys,

I have problem, im going to the gold coast in january next year.

i dont know what to do about my fish feeding? No one will be home for the 2-3 weeks.

so i dont know what to do, how can my fish not die while im away?

thanks daniel

Unless you get someone you can trust to come round every few days to look after them, i dont think they will be in the best condition when you get back, most likely dead. Auto feeders are good for a few days, but what happens if you have a blackout, a heater goes haywire or a filter dies?

For that length of time i think you really need a babysitter to keep them well.

It really depends on what fish you have. If your fish are predominantly herbivorous, then I don't think you will have any issue with not feeding them for 2-3 weeks (not in my experience anyway). For instance, I left my fish in their tanks with hardly any food for at least 4 weeks while I was overseas last year. They all survived but the condition of the tanks was another story.

For the herbivorous fish, all I did was put some plants in their tanks before I left. Although normally the fish wouldn't touch the plants, all the plants were gone by the time I got back. Not sure if the plants were eaten or they just died though. I also left the tank lights on 24 hours a day while I was gone to generate algae and this provided sufficient food for the algae grazers like the mbunas and tropheus.

I had to buy an automatic feeder for my carnivorous fish. I put a combination of pellets and flakes in the auto-feeder so the fish got a variety of food. However the feeder was set to only feed the fish once a week to reduce waste.

In short, I don't think you need to fuss too much about your fish when you are away. Just enjoy your holiday. As long as you have made the necessary preparations in advance, I don't believe you will have any trouble. Sure the fish would be skinny when you get back from your holiday but at least they'll greet you with gusto when they see you walk through the door! LOL.gif

i disagree with sherman on this. if you have mainly malawis, I would say they could quite easily go a week or two without food. after all females easily hold up to 21 days and get through no problems. I would think the best way is to do as oracle suggested as getting someone to look after your fish is usually a good way to kill them, unless of course they have thier own. over time I would have lost many many many times more fish from having a babysitter, than from leaving them to their own devices. just do a good maintenance on the tank before you go to clean it up and maybe chuck in a few algae pellets to get through the first few days. then once you are back you condition them up. just be VERY careful if getting a babysitter.

Ok, so the general consensus is that they wont need feeding for the time away. But, as i said in the earlier post, what happens if a filter gets clogged, stops running, or plain breaks??

I still stand by my idea of having someone check on them every few days to make sure this doesnt happen. And if someone is checking on them for you, and something does break, atleast then they can ring you up for advice.

All the info given has been top notch clap.gif , but in the end its up to you and how much you trust your equipment.

Cheers, Alan. thumb.gif

Archived