Catfish for a Malawi tank?

Scienceman

I have read that adding catfish to a Malawi tank can help keep the algae down. I was told by my LFS that

a) Malawi catfish are expensive, <$50 @

b) you cannot just add South American catfish directly to a Malawi tank because of the pH difference

Is it possible to buy inexpensive Malawi catfish, or is there a way to buy adapted SA catfish?

What species of catfish are recommended (both Malawi and SA)?

Cheers,

Scienceman thumb.gif

bristlenose will do perfectly well in with africans. I have them in every one of my tanks and they do really well. nothing beats them for algae removal really. I also have some gibbiceps plecos in tanks and they do well also. common plecos are another that do well. all of them are great algae cleaners smile.gif

Thanks Gav. Can I buy these from my LFS and add them directly to the cichlid tank or do they have to be adapted as my LFS suggested?

How big do they grow?

How many would I need to keep a 6'x18"x20" tank clean?

Cheers,

Scienceman

just take time to establish them in the water once you buy them. best idea is put them in a bucket when you get home. then add a cup of water every 20 minutes or so for a few hours to acclimatise them. that should do fine

bristlenose get to a good 6 inches, gippys and plecos 12 inches or more

Depending on what sort of conditions the bristle nose (or any plecos for that matter) come from I would take at least 24 hour, preferably 2 days to aclimatize them to a Rift tank.

Once they settle in tho, they are no problem at all and you will be surprised at the difference a couple of BN can make with your algae problems...No more glass cleaning for one.

Alan

oops, Alan is absolutely right on rift lake conditions, I probably should have stated that my tanks are only about 7.8-8.0 ph and not particularly hard water. for true rift lake conditions I would take much longer. thankfully we have a catfish man here to correct my stuffups LOL.gif

I recommend synodontis multipunctatus, there from tanganyika though but are excellent additions to a malawi setup. Or alternatvley you could get synodontis eupeterus there around the 15 dollar mark. I have 2 each of the above mentioned with a sailfin pleco thumb.gifthumb.gif

Im not sure how much Nigel is asking for his Nyasse. If there the right price snap some of those up! Looks like Great vakue for money.. and there wildcaught apparently.. thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Nigel about his S. nyassae. He sent me a couple of shots and wrote

"They are 12-15cm and the price is $35 each or $30 each for 5-10 or $25 each for 10 or more."

They won't get to the algae, but these fish are good enough to have for themselves.

Personally, I have never seen the point of putting bristlenose in a tank to eat the algae, as most africans will eat this too, and the bristlenose will be just competition for them. The bristlenose will probably do a better job of it, but I keep my tanks not for the bristlenose but my other fish.

I personally only remove the algae manually from the viewing sides of the tank, and wouldn't worry about it elsewhere.

Craig

Archived