delayed lighting

Shell

I have an electrical query for anyone who can help me. I have a 2 foot double tube light on one of my tanks that is playing up a bit and I need to know if I should just let it go or get it fixed. When I turn the light on at the switch or at the power point it takes about 10 seconds for the light to actually come on. Is this the start of a problem that will result in it not working at all, and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks

Ok, so next question. Where will I find the starter (what does it look like) and how do I replace it? Do I just buy one from Bunnings? I might need to get one of you Canberra blokes to come over and help me on this one.

Do I do the pathetic female well?? blush.gif

Hahaha.....not pathetic Shell wink.gif

The starter will be a small white cylinder thingy, about as round as a 10cent peice. It could simply be under the tube, in wich case just take the tube out and you'll be able to see it. But more than likely you're going to have to take the reflecter off, should be easy to see then. Simply push it in, and give about a 1/4 turn anti clockwise and it should come out. Of course you should have the light unplugged from the wall before doing this. tongue.gif

Take to Bunnings and get another that same. Be sure to check the amp rating and make sure the new one is the same.

Or, if you think you can play the pathetic female really good, just take your whole light to bunnings, find a yound man to help you, and simply tell him it needs a new starter, and could he possibly help you replace it ? I find they're usually happy to help a lady out as it gives their store a good/friendly reputation.

Good luck wink.gif

Gee thanks Subgirl. You are obviously not a useless female at all. thumb.gif I will follow your instructions and see how I go. If it all seems too hard then I will take the lot to Bunnings and find a nice helpful young man to help me. But will try to be useful myself first.

Try the Starter first - it will only cost you $1 - $1.50 per starter (Bunnings is your best bet or a light store - LFS usually charge more for them)... You will need 2 if you want to replace starters in your twin tube reflector... there is 1 starter per fluro tube.

Also have a look at the ends of your tubes when they are on - can you see like a flickering (like lightning in those balls of lightning) - new tubes don't flicker... Also take the tubes out - it there any black discolouration near the ends of the tubes... if so then they are getting worn out.

Tubes that are dying suffer from noticble flicker at the end when on and large blck discolouration on the ends of the tubes they will still function... ie it will light up, but like in your case it might blink a few times or take a while to turn on. Also old lights like these are not good if you are keeping plants - the output K Temperature is too low to sustain photosynthesis and your plants will suffer.

Cheers

Archived